PLAY On Plays

Thought pop and rock never seep into a musical? Think again, because Striking 12, an off-Broadway musical featuring the pop group GrooveLily, will open on Nov. 12. The musical’s story is set on New Year’s Eve. Coincidentally, it will run through Dec. 31.

According to the production notes, Striking 12 “is the story of a Grumpy Guy who decides to avoid the hectic loveless world on New Year’s Eve.” Ted Sperling, a Tony Award recipient for his orchestration for The Light in the Piazza, will direct. This will be the longest-yet New York run of the musical. It had some regional runs in the past couple of years.

Who doesn’t love some good Company? We’re not talking about family and friends, rather the first preview of the new revival of Stephen Sondheim’s musical. It opens officially Nov. 29.

Don’t we all love a little Frankie Valli? Big girls don’t cry, especially not when Jersey Boys, the 2006 Tony Award winner for Best Musical, celebrated its first year on Broadway Nov. 6. The musical re-creates the story of the American pop group “The Four Seasons.”

A national tour of the show will begin in San Francisco Dec. 1 and will head to Chicago’s LaSalle Bank Theatre in Oct. 2007.

On Nov. 6, the Joseph Jefferson Awards (Jeffs) rewarded the best of Chicago’s professional Equity theatre. Grand Hotel: The Musical and Urinetown earned the most individual production nominations.

The 38th Annual Jeffs is Chicago’s version of the Tony Awards. Fences won for best play and Man of La Mancha for Best Musical. Both shows are at the Court Theatre, which led all recipients with 10 awards.

A number of respected regulars were once again nominated, including David H. Bell, Hollis Resnik, Gary Griffin, Rick Boynton, Gary Vinkler, Susan Moniz, Marc Robin, Mary Zimmerman, Frank Galati, Andr