Medill Loses Huebner To GWU

Lee Huebner, a professor in both the Medill School of Journalism and the School of Communication, has been appointed director of George Washington University’s School of Media and Public Affairs.

Huebner has taught at Northwestern for the past 12 years but is perhaps best known for starting the Paris-based International Herald Tribune, the world’s first global newspaper. He earned an undergraduate degree from Northwestern.

“This was a hard decision to make as it will be very difficult to leave Northwestern after 12 years of teaching here and other ties that go back as far as my high school years and include my time as an undergraduate here, an active alumnus, a parent and, most recently, a faculty member,” Huebner said in a statement.

Huebner said he’ll most miss the colleagues and students he came to know over the years.

“I was involved in so many aspects of university life, I feel all these bonds,” he said.

The job offer from George Washington came along weeks ago, Huebner said.

“One of the professors there, a friend of mine, sought me out,” he said. “A number of people then asked me if I’d be interested. It was a challenge that appealed to me.”

Stephen Joel Trachtenberg, the president of George Washington University, said Huebner was selected over other candidates because of his experience with journalism and politics. The Daily Colonial, GWU’s student-run online newspaper, said the shortlist included the Washington Post’s Charles Lane and broadcaster Bill Press.

“In Lee Huebner, we gain a director with a wealth of talent and experience in print journalism, political research and higher education,” Trachtenberg said in a statement.

Huebner was a deputy director for the writing and research team of the White House in the Nixon Administration.

“He represents the perfect blend of theory and practice that will set our students on the right course for their careers,” Trachtenberg said.

Huebner will join Frank Sesno – a professor of public policy and communication at George Mason University who won an Emmy for his coverage of the flooding in the Midwest in 1993 – as a new faculty member. Sesno will begin as a faculty member in September. Huebner begins as director July 1.

“This new opportunity will return me to an institution-building, management role which was a central part of my life for many years,” Huebner said, “while also providing a tenured professorship which will keep me in the academic and teaching life which I have enjoyed so much at Northwestern.”

Rumors circulated that Huebner is leaving because newly appointed Dean of Medill John Lavine took his sought-after job. Huebner denies he ever thought of being the new dean.

“People discussed that with me,” Huebner said. “But in the end, Medill wanted to go with Lavine. (Being the dean) wasn’t really something I wanted to consider. I think that this option came along at the same time.”

Huebner said he agrees with Lavine’s Medill 2020 plan.

“I think the whole emphasis on new technology is very important,” he said. “But I think people have misread (the plan). It reinforces the basic values of good journalism in it. I support it. I wish him all the best.”

The Medill 2020 plan will try to include more convergence in journalism. Broadcasting projects will be required in the Newswriting class and new curriculum will try to bridge the gap between journalism and Integrated Marketing Communications.Though Huebner says he is leaving amicably, he and Prof. John Kupetz are the first to leave in what is being called the Medill Exodus.

Huebner said he still wants to maintain his ties to the university but that he is focusing on the challenge before him.

“This is a great honor and a great opportunity,” Huebner said. “I look forward to working with a wonderful team of accomplished professionals in building an even stronger program in journalism and political communication.”

Reach Emmet Sullivan at [email protected].