BREAKING NEWS: NU admits hazing in two more programs

Northwestern Athletic Director Mark Murphy announced two more incidences of hazing among the school’s athletic programs Wednesday in addition to the women’s soccer team’s alleged hazing incident last August.

Separate investigations by Student Affairs during the current academic year revealed the men’s swimming team and the mascot program had hazed its new members, according to an athletic department press release.

Both teams have already been disciplined, and the athletic department has no further comment.

The events in question with the men’s swimming team occured last September and involved underage consumption of alcohol, new team members swimming in Lake Michigan when the NU beach was closed and other “inappropriate behavior,” which the press release did not elaborate on.

The athletic department responded by canceling the team’s training trip to Hawaii, having the team perform a community service project and placing the entire team on disciplinary probation. Several members of the team also were disciplined individually, although the university cannot release the names of the swimmers nor the punishments doled out because of privacy laws.

The mascot program committed its own acts of hazing last October by staging a fake kidnapping of new students who were candidates to play Willie the Wildcat. All the students who had been performing as the school’s mascot were terminated, and Willie was not in attendance at several football games, according to the release.

Read more about the ongoing developments of alleged and confirmed hazing at NU in tomorrow’s Daily.

— Staff Reports