Sciences academy inducts NU chemistry professor

Brian Hoffman, a Northwestern chemistry professor, was elected to the National Academy of Sciences last week. Hoffman is one of 72 new members to join the academy this year.

The academy is a private organization that advises the government. It was founded in 1863 by Abraham Lincoln.

Academy members often perform studies and write reports in response to government requests for their expertise, though they also continue their own research.

“It’s both an honor and a duty,” Hoffman said. “It’s an acknowledgement of the quality of the research that’s been done.”

Bill Skane, the academy’s executive director for news and public information, said scientists are nominated by other members in their fields and are voted on by the entire academy. He said 72 new members are elected every year and are inducted the following year.

“In people’s scientific careers, this is an important benchmark,” Skane said. “It shows real accomplishment and achievement.”

Skane said that while the prestige of being in the academy is a good benefit, the opportunity to work with other leading scientists in many fields is also a great resource.

“They get to work with other scientists on pressing national matters,” Skane said.

One of the enzymes Hoffman is currently studying appears in the liver and acts in the metabolizing of many different medicines and treatments.

Hoffman said learning more about it could help doctors understand certain processes better and help in the creation of new medications.

“It is important in pharmacology and medicine,” Hoffman said. “It’s the key to a lot of important things, and we’re trying to learn more about how it works.”

Reach Aliza Appelbaum at [email protected].