Ex-dean of students remembered for dedication to job

Former Northwestern Dean of Students Virginia Landwehr, noted for her wit and sense of humor, died after an illness Dec. 6 at Evanston Hospital. She was 73.

Landwehr, an Evanston resident and Communication ’54, joined the NU’s staff as associate dean of students and director of guidance and counseling in 1972. In 1975, she became the dean of students. She oversaw student services, including guidance and counseling, Greek affairs, minority student affairs and residence hall programming. She also represented NU on 20 alumni trips.

In her work with students, Landwehr dealt with serious issues such as deaths, but she tried to keep her daily life lighthearted, friends and colleagues said.

“She believed that no matter how serious a topic was or how heavy a matter was, she could always use humor,” said Margo Brown, assistant dean of students from 1973 to 1992, and assistant to the vice president of student affairs from 1992 to 2002.

Brown noted that Landwehr was an exceptional speaker who won the National Extemporaneous Speak-Out Championship as a senior at Elgin High School in Elgin, Ill. Landwehr often helped staff members with their public speaking skills.

“She could talk about anything at any moment, whether or not she knew anything about it,” Brown said.

Brown first met Landwehr when she interviewed her to be assistant dean of students.

“When I met her, she was very serious and extremely prim and proper,” Brown said. “She found out that we had been in the same sorority in NU. She asked me if I kept my beer in the toilet tank like she did.”

They became close friends when they began working together, Brown said.

As an NU student, Landwehr was the president of Pi Beta Phi sorority, a member of the debate team, a representative on ‘College Quiz Bowl’ and president of Mortar Board, an honorary academic society.

After graduating from NU, Landwehr earned a master’s degree in guidance and counseling from University of Wisconsin at Madison.

Medill Professor Emeritus Roger Boye, who worked with Landwehr while he was Medill’s assistant dean of students and director of undergraduate studies, praised Landwehr’s dedication to helping students.

“She was a very student-focused person,” Boye said. “She always wanted what was best for the student.”

A memorial service was held Dec. 12 at Trinity Lutheran Church, 3637 Golf Road. Brown planned the memorial, where she and former NU President Arnold Weber spoke. After the memorial, a reception was held in Scott Hall’s Guild Lounge, where Landwehr had her retirement party in 1992.

Landwehr will be remembered for her love of NU, Boye said.

“She figuratively wore purple every day, ” he said.

Reach Ketul Patel at

[email protected].