Sororities treat Evanston children to Greek Halloween

The Sorority Quads welcomed some unusual visitors Sunday evening when Princess Jasmine, a ladybug and a pumpkin all came calling.

The costumed children were participating in Trick-or-Treat With the Greeks, an event sponsored by all the Greek houses that attracted 40-50 children and their parents in its first year.

In celebration of Halloween and homecoming, girls from all 12 sorority houses passed out candy between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. Many of the houses were adorned with handmade banners and spooky Halloween decorations, such as a spider on a giant spider web.

This event provides Evanston children with another opportunity to celebrate Halloween in a city that has rigid trick-or-treating restrictions. This year’s designated Halloween hours are Monday between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m.

“I think it’s a great way to let kids have the experience of trick-or-treating while in a safe environment,” said Rachel Gandell, a Weinberg sophomore.

Students said the evening was a success, but a few expressed hope that next year’s event would attract more children.

Gandell, who helped pass out candy at Alpha Chi Omega, said she thought the reason not too many children showed up was because the event was not as well publicized as it could have been.

Although there were not as many children as she had expected, Gandell said that all those who came wore great costumes and seemed to be having a good time.

Cara Vaccarello, a Weinberg junior, also said she expected more trick-or-treaters.

“There might have been more kids if it was earlier in the day, ” Vaccarello said. “I think the fact that it was dark out might have been a problem for some people.”

Vaccarello, the philanthropy chair for Pi Beta Phi, also said that it was great to see all the houses decorated and so many girls passing out candy.

“It looked like there was good participation from all the houses.,” Vaccarello said.

Ashley Lorenz, president of the Panhellenic Association, said this year was the first time an event like this had taken place, and she hopes future executive boards will make it annual.

“I feel like with events like this, especially when they involve the Evanston community, you have to build it up with them over time,” said Lorenz, a Communication senior. “As word of mouth increases, the event will become more successful.”

Although she hoped for a greater turnout, Lorenz said the enthusiasm of NU’s sororities made the night worthwhile.

“All the Greek houses were involved and they all participated,” she said. “That was really great.”

Reach Aliza Appelbaum at

[email protected].