Parents question elementary school principal’s skills

Parents of Dewey Elementary School students criticized Dewey Principal Andrew Krugly at a Monday Evanston/Skokie District 65 School Board meeting, saying he lacks the communication skills needed in a racially diverse school community.

Parents also said they were concerned with the low number of black teachers at Dewey, 1551 Wesley Ave.

“In a general sense, a true leader has to have the interpersonal skills to relate to all cultures,” said Tracey Wallace, parent of two boys attending Dewey. “The current principal doesn’t show those skills.”

Krugly could not be reached for comment after Monday’s meeting, which he did not attend.

Stephan Collins, who has a son in the second grade at Dewey, said he doesn’t think Krugly’s communication skills reflect racial prejudice. But he said the principal’s demeanor could be misinterpreted that way.

“I don’t feel that (Krugly) is a racist,” Collins said. “When you couple his lack of social skills with diversity, you’re going to get diverse (interpretations).”

Wallace said he heard from other parents that Krugly “yells and screams at kids” to discipline them.

Superintendent Hardy Murphy defended Krugly’s work as school principal.

“I don’t think anyone can second guess Andy’s commitment,” Murphy said. “I think we have a dedicated educator out there.”

Wallace said parents’ concerns came to a head after a black teacher, Jasmine Harris, was fired from the school. According to Wallace, there are now only three black teachers on a teaching staff of about 18.

“From what I heard, (Harris) was able to reach those children who were not achieving,” Wallace said.

Collins said he does not think Harris’ was fired because of her race, but said he still thinks the school should have more black teachers.

“There is no doubt that our students of color need to see teachers that look like them,” he said.

Wallace said he is unsure how the school board should deal with Krugly.

“I want to see an environment where all children are being treated equally,” he said.

But Wallace said he is confident parents and the school board are dedicated to resolving the issue and can find a solution.

“I believe that the parents and the community at large are committed to making changes,” Wallace said.

Parents and teachers plan to meet at Dewey on Wednesday to discuss their concerns with Krugly himself.

“We’re hoping for the beginnings of a constructive dialogue between the whole Dewey community at Wednesday’s meeting,” said Tracy Quattrocki, parent of first- and second-grade students at Dewey.

Reach Lensay Abadula at [email protected].