Police seek woman, notify FBI after bank robbery in Jewel-Osco

The bank inside Jewel-Osco Food Store, 1128 Chicago Ave., was robbed Monday afternoon by an unidentified woman, police said.

Police do not yet know how much money the woman took from the hands of a teller at the TCF Bank, said Deputy Chief Joe Bellino of Evanston Police Department.

The woman, who was described as between 20 and 23 years old, approached the bank’s counter at about 12:15 p.m. and demanded money from the teller, Bellino said.

The woman claimed she had a weapon but did not display one, Bellino said. The teller handed her an unknown amount of money.

The woman left the store and drove south on Chicago Avenue in a dark-colored vehicle before police arrived, Bellino said.

EPD has notified the FBI of the incident, he said.

Bank manager Kabir Arowor, who was on duty when the robbery occurred, said he could not comment on the incident or on TCF’s security because of TCF’s corporate policy.

The corporate spokesman for TCF could not be reached Monday afternoon.

By 4:30 p.m. Monday, the bank — a small half-moon counter to the left of Jewel-Osco’s cash registers — appeared to be operating as usual.

Several Jewel-Osco employees who were on duty at that time also declined to comment on the incident. Jewel-Osco and the TCF branch are under different management, Arowor said.

On Nov. 21, 2001, a man approached the counter of the Jewel-Osco TCF with a note that read, “I have a gun, give me the cash. 15 seconds,” but ran away when the teller refused to give him the money.

A TCF bank inside a Jewel store at 2485 Howard St. was robbed of $3,000 Nov. 14 of that same year.

In April 2001, a man took $735 from the World Savings Bank, 2289 Howard St. That robbery followed three similar bank heists in the North Shore area.

TCF has 430 banking locations in six states, including Wisconsin, Indiana and Minnesota.

— Marissa Conrad