Brutal 1916 death marks family history

A look into the history of Doria Dee Johnson’s family evokes mixed emotions.

Her great-great grandfather, Anthony Crawford, was the wealthiest black male in South Carolina and one of the wealthiest men in the state, owning more than 400 acres of land. Crawford incorporated the Abbeville School for black children and started a union for black farmers in South Carolina.

But the brutal tale of his death leaves a chilling effect difficult to fathom.

On Oct. 21, 1916, a mob of 200-400 people dragged Crawford down a flight of stairs, stabbed him and tied him to the back of a car. They then dragged his body through the city of Abbeville and finally tied to him to a tree where they shot him repeatedly.

Johnson retold the story to a crowd of more than 40 people Thursday night at the Evanston Historical Society’s Charles Gates Dawes House, 225 Greenwood St.

“Evanston African-American history has been so misunderstood,” said Leslie Goddard, manager of programs and education at the Historical Society. “There’s so many great stories, and one of the things I wanted to do is to actively tell these stories.”

Johnson began the evening by explaining the cause of Crawford’s lynching. While he was selling cotton seeds one day, Crawford cursed a white man who offered him a lower price than his white competitors.

Crawford’s children were forced to leave their home after being threatened by members of the community, Johnson said. Johnson’s great-grandparents came to Evanston, where other family members already had settled.

Johnson is in the process of developing a documentary, part of which she showed Thursday night. Johnson also is working to buy back her great-great grandfather’s land, which now is owned by International Paper. The family also is seeking an apology from the government of South Carolina.

Crawford’s granddaughter Anna Belle Frazier attended the event.

“We are proud and so interested to find out what she (learned),” Frazier said.

Johnson insists on remembering Crawford’s life rather than his death.

“It’s not really important how he died,” she said. “It’s really important to (remember) how he lived.”

Reach Lensay Abadula at [email protected].