Library performance takes kids on world tour

A surprise was in store for the Evanston Public Library when it received an unexpected visit from an esteemed Kenyan king Monday afternoon. Even more perplexing was the king’s ferocious guard, who was only 6 years old.

Actors from touring theater group Kidworks performed “Peace Tales Around the World,” an interactive presentation that gave the crowd of about 60 children and adults a taste of various cultures. The event aimed at reflecting the message of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Day by focusing on freedom around the world.

“(The presentation) shows why Martin Luther King fought for everyone to be equal and for world peace,” said Lisa Townsel, 15.

Kidworks actress Jennifer Liu played a young girl who was forced to write a paper on world peace. The girl, upset about having to look beyond her home in the United States, was taken on a journey to the far ends of the world.

The grand tour began in Kenya, where Liu met a cruel king, played by actor Tusiime Jackson, who oppressed his countrymen. Six-year-old Eli Cohen was pulled from the audience to play the part of the king’s guard.

At the end of the tale, the king realized his evil ways and restored freedom to his people.

Babaganoush, hummus and grape leaves were then offered to the young girl when she traveled to Lebanon. Children joined actress Andrea Salloum in a round of belly dancing.

When she arrived in China, children were exposed to the traditions of Tai Chi and Kung Fu and celebrated the Chinese New Year with an elaborate dragon that roared around the library.

The journey ended with a visit to a Native American tribe in need of rain. Children pursued the spirits, participating in a traditional rain dance. But no rain came until a young girl from the audience sacrificed a beloved doll, showing the importance of sharing and thinking of others.

“I thought it was interesting to know about other countries and what people do,” said Matt Rompon, 10. “I learned that everybody is different.”

Rompon’s mother, Marian Casey, who worked to obtain grants and exposure for Kidworks 13 years ago, also enjoyed the program. She said she is concerned about budget cuts for drama programs in area schools.

“I love the theater,” Casey said. “They are not teaching enough about social skills in school.”

“Peace Tales Around the World” is one of the company’s more successful skits. Salloum, who also serves as artistic director of Kidworks, read about 300 traditional stories before writing the script for the play.

“It became my mission to find stories that all had a message,” Salloum said.

The Kidworks touring theater company has been performing for 18 years, traveling around the Chicago area. The company visits schools and public community centers, performing skits and holding drama and Shakespeare workshops.

Kristala Pouncy, a Northwestern alumnus, joined the company after graduating with a master’s degree in theater in June 2004. She serves as an understudy for one of the company’s actors.

“I love children’s theater,” Pouncy said, “especially the message of diversity and learning about other people’s countries.”

The event was one of several performances the library holds on holidays when children are out of school.

“I find them a great group to work with,” said Janice Bojda, head of the library’s children’s services department. “They are dependable and engage with the audience.”

Reach Lensay Abadula at [email protected].