MLK’s forgotten North Shore visits recounted

Northwestern alumna Timi Papas was only blocks away from the Evanston church where the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered a sermon in 1963.

But she, along with many other longtime Evanston residents, never knew of King’s visits until years later.

In a lecture entitled “Martin Luther King Jr. in Evanston and the North Shore, 1958-63,” researcher Frank Miles presented a historical look into King’s civic life Thursday night to a crowd of about 20 at the Evanston Historical Society’s Charles Gates Dawes House, 225 Greenwood St.

Miles focused on the historical account of three separate visits King made to Evanston while Historical Society employee Leslie Goodard read selections of King’s sermons throughout the country.

“I hope people can get a better understanding of his visits and how it links to his bigger picture for racial changes in America,” said Goddard, the Historical Society’s manager of programs and education. “It’s one of those things (residents) don’t really know about.”

King, who traveled across the country spreading a message of equality and integration, came to Evanston after receiving invitations from various religious leaders. In January 1958 King visited the Temple Beth Emet synagogue, 1224 Dempster St. Four years later, King returned to Evanston and spoke at the Unitarian Church of Evanston, 1330 Ridge Ave. King’s last visit to Evanston came the following year, when he visited the First United Methodist Church at 1630 Hinman Ave.

Miles said the sermons focused on the urgent need for integration.

“Evanston had been a very Republican, conservative town,” Miles said. “Segregation was evident everywhere.”

Although Evanston was heavily segregated at the time, community residents didn’t protest King’s events, Miles said. Racial integration in Evanston did not immediately happen after King’s visits, but they had an impact on the racial dynamic of the city.

“Evanston was undergoing a transformation and King brought this to (the residents’) attention,” Miles said.

King’s invitation to speak at the synagogue came as Jews were facing similar discrimination, Miles said. During his visit to Evanston in 1958, King had to stay in the basement of the synagogue because nearby hotels wouldn’t allow black people to stay, Miles said.

Miles also spoke about King’s visit to Winnetka in 1965, where he pushed for equal housing on the North Shore.

“It was a powerful event people in Evanston need to know.” said Evanston resident Dorris Rudy, who attended King’s 1963 speech at First United Methodist Church. “I do think it was one of the factors leading to (Evanston’s) diversity.”

Miles’ research on King’s visits will be incorporated in his new book, “Perspectives in Black and White,” which he hopes will come out later this year. The book takes a look into the history of Evanston from the mid-1800s to the present, featuring three individuals who were a central part of Evanston’s diverse history: King, Edward Jourdain and Gregory Coffin.

He said King’s visits still have a lasting effect on the city to this day.

“I think it ties into the message of brotherhood and mutuality that is needed to live together,” Miles said.

Reach Lensay Abadula at [email protected].