Man arrested at Chi Psi party breaks squad car window

A 25-year-old Evanston man was arrested and charged at a Chi Psi party early Saturday for swearing at University Police officers and shattering the window of a squad car, police said.

A member of the fraternity also called police that morning after a hired musician threatened to use a gun in the basement, said Asst. Chief Daniel McAleer of UP.

Chad Heslup, of the 1200 block of Hull Terrace, is charged with aggravated assault and criminal damage to property.

Officers found Heslup yelling and swearing at several people in the basement of the fraternity, 2313 Sheridan Road, at about 2:30 a.m., McAleer said.

Heslup began swearing and lunging at officers and ignored their verbal commands to stop shouting, McAleer said. Heslup also made racial comments to several officers.

Officers placed Heslup into custody and took him to the squad car, where he broke the window of the rear passenger door with his foot.

In the other incident, also around 2:30 a.m., officers responded to a 911 call that a man was ordering residents out of the basement and threatening to use a gun, McAleer said.

Chi Psi President D.J. Eckert said the offender — one of a group of “rappers” the fraternity hired to perform at the party — did not appear to have a gun.

The man told police he was angry because the fraternity had not paid him.

But Eckert said the fraternity had paid the man’s boss.

“Maybe he was getting skimped by his boss, I don’t know, but we definitely paid him,” Eckert told The Daily on Monday.

Eckert, a Weinberg junior, said Heslup also was part of the group of rappers, but added that the men’s behavior did not ruin the party.

“This was the very end,” he said. “The police took care of everything and that was that.”

Officers also were called to Chi Psi three other times that night for three separate reports of stolen purses, McAleer said.