ASG to consider bills on light walk, campuswide poll

The Associated Student Government will address a number of items carried over from last week at tonight’s Senate meeting.

If a bill sponsored by the External Relations and Student Services committees passes, several other Northwestern and Evanston officials will be asked to join an off-campus light walk on Nov. 18. Recent robberies near the Evanston Campus have created concern about safety, and ASG leaders plan to lobby the city based on issues brought to light during the walk, according to Jon Marino, External Relations chairman.

“We plan to highlight changes that have already been made (in the city) and address similar changes to be made in dark areas,” said Marino, an Education junior.

The light walk would be one small part of a larger effort to promote student safety, Marino said.

Adding “gender and identity expression” to the Northwestern anti-discrimination policy also will be debated. Members of the Student Services diversity subcommittee, led by Weinberg sophomore Whitney Gretz, aim to have the phrase added so people in the LGBT community are protected.

The issue arose when community members approached Student Services Vice President Alex Lurie, a Communication junior, because “the Northwestern community wasn’t being as proactive as other institutions in addressing the diverse needs of the LGBT community,” he said.

Vice President for Student Affairs William Banis will speak at Senate tonight about student life and what Student Affairs is doing in response to recent incidents on campus, said ASG President Jane Lee.

Lee, a Weinberg senior, did not elaborate further on what Banis would discuss.

Another measure addressing student concerns will be discussed with a bill for a general, two-week poll to survey the student body. The bill was postponed at last week’s meeting after senators voiced concern that there would not be enough time to properly discuss it. The bill was introduced at the end of the meeting, which was about three hours long.

McCormick senior Gabe Matlin, Phi Mu Alpha/Sigma Alpha Iota senator and author of the bill, said there has not been a poll of this magnitude in possibly “five years or more.” It would give ASG the chance to examine student concerns to “base other bills off,” he said.

Legislation commemorating the life of McCormick sophomore Yehuda Yudkowsky also will be presented at the meeting. Yudkowsky died Nov. 1 from injuries sustained in a fall.

The ASG meeting will be held at 7 p.m. in the Northwestern Room of Norris University Center. The meeting is open to the public.

Reach Alexis Crawford at [email protected].