Searle offers at-risk faculty flu vaccines

As the flu shot shortage continues to distress the nation, high-risk Northwestern faculty and staff can breathe a sigh of relief.

Faculty and staff members who are over the age of 65, pregnant, have specified medical problems or care for children under six months old are now eligible to receive flu shots through the Human Resources department.

High-risk students can receive flu shots through Health Services, by appointment only. So far only 50 students have received flu shots since Health Services started offering the shots in late September.

Because of low student demand, Health Services decided Monday that it could open its supply of flu vaccinations to include high-risk faculty and staff. NU had enough vaccinations to meet demand because it purchases its flu vaccines from Aventis Pasteur, one of two vaccine providers to the United States. In early October the British government suspended the license of Chiron, one of the only two primary flu vaccine manufacturers, leaving the United States 42 million short of the 100 million vaccines expected.

Director of Health Services Donald Misch said only 50 students have obtained flu shots, and that having plenty of flu shots while other medical facilities have none has put NU in a difficult situation.

“I’m increasingly finding (having enough flu shots) to be a curse,” Misch said. “Now we’re having to deal with who to give (them) to. We’ve tried to be as ethical and honest as possible.”

The university has received requests for flu vaccinations from hospitals, the Department of Public Health and other student health centers, but currently administrators are making sure there are enough shots to serve the university population, Misch said.

The fact that there is a shortage has created some unnecessary panic nationwide and some people who did not even receive shots last year feel they should get them, Misch said.

“I liken this to the Beanie Baby phenomena,” said Misch, referring to the stuffed animals that created a craze in the late ’90s. “I’m not saying it’s not a problem, but for most healthy people, the flu is not life-threatening.”

Since the decision to open up vaccines to faculty and staff was announced on Monday, 108 individuals have purchased the $25 tickets for flu shots from Norris University Center and the Bursar’s Office on the Chicago Campus, said Guy Miller, associate vice president for human resources. Miller added that Human Resources has received more than 100 calls inquiring about the vaccines.

High-risk family members of faculty and staff members with a valid WildCARD also can receive flu shots. Miller said they expect about 400 faculty and staff members to get flu shots.

Although faculty and staff flu vaccinations are part of a supply obtained by Searle Health Services, NU employees are restricted by national Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act regulations, which prohibit Searle from administering the shots. Instead, the shots for employees will be administered by Omega Occupational Health Services, a subsidiary of Evanston Northwestern Healthcare.

The vaccines will be offered on the Evanston Campus from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Nov. 11 and 12 in the Northwestern A Room at Norris and on the Chicago Campus, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Nov. 9 in Abbott Hall.

Reach Diana Scholl at [email protected].