Canadian runs for the border

Northwestern field hockey fans know Canada has more to offerthan just maple leaves and Mounties.

Sophomore goalkeeper Sherri-Anne Nyberg left Canada for theUnited States last year for a chance to play Division I fieldhockey while pursuing an American education at NU.

“I knew it would be a real challenge here,” Nyberg said. “It hasbeen a life-changing experience.”

Nyberg started playing field hockey in ninth-grade and only fouryears later found herself starting in goal in a Division Igame.

“I wanted to get in shape, and field hockey looked fun, so Itried it,” Nyberg said. “I’ve always loved playing teamsports.”

Since coming to NU, Nyberg has started 29 games and has a 1.69goals against average and seven shutouts.

Nyberg’s father, Verner Nyberg, said although it was a toughchoice for his daughter to make, her move has been beneficial toher.

“I am very pleased in what she has been offered,” Verner Nybergsaid. “It is a big opportunity for her.

“She has really grown in ways she wouldn’t have up here.”

She was offered a scholarship at the University of Rhode Islandand also considered several Canadian colleges.

Field hockey is probably more popular in Canada, Nyberg said,but there are more teams in the United States, which she said leadsto more competition.

“If I would have stayed at home and gone to college in BritishColumbia, I wouldn’t have the same type of schedule,” Nyberg said.”I would still have a lot of games, but it is not nearly ascompetitive as it is here.

“Every single game here is emotionally and physicallychallenging.”

When Nyberg made the move to the United States she was surprisedby the differences in the two countries.

“There is a big cultural difference,” Nyberg said. “You wouldn’tthink it is different, but there is a change in attitude.”

Coach Kelly McCollum said Nyberg also had to adjust to thedifference in how field hockey is played in the U.S.

“The physical demands and speed of the game were a challenge forher at the beginning,” McCollum said. “Fitness is emphasized muchmore here than in Canada.”

Verner Nyberg said the cultural transition moving to the UnitedStates was easier because of his daughter’s personality.

“She’s really into all sorts of different things that complementher interest in field hockey,” Verner Nyberg said, who said hisdaughter also is a gifted musician. “I know she will continue to dowell because she has a lot of intelligence and is verytalented.”

This weekend Nyberg and the rest of the Wildcats (7-8, 1-3 BigTen) take on conference foe No. 19 Penn State (8-7, 2-2) on Fridayand No. 3 Duke (12-3) on Sunday at Lakeside Field in their finalhomestand of the season.

Sunday’s match will be the final regular season home game forCats seniors Candice Cooper and Morgan Kuhn. Cooper has 17 goals ina breakout season in which she surged into the NU record books infour offensive categories. Kuhn has been the backbone of a defensethat gives up an average of just 1.93 goals per game.

With two Big Ten games remaining, the Cats have a chance to winmultiple conference games for the first time since 2000.

“We are playing good field hockey,” McCollum said. “We need todig a little deeper, work a little harder and finishopportunities.

“We are really close.”

Reach Abraham Rakov at [email protected],.