Sex Week returns to campus with a bang, destigmatizes sexuality

Beatrice Villaflor/The Daily Northwestern
Northwestern Sex Week has been a campus tradition for over a decade.

Amid the meal exchanges students held in their hands at the Norris University Center on Wednesday midday were some unfamiliar sights, ranging from phallic-shaped, glitter-covered candles to tie-dye sex toys.  

Members from Northwestern Sex Week hosted a sex toy giveaway at the entrance of Norris as part of an ongoing three-day program to promote sexual health and confidence. NU College Feminists planned Sex Week in collaboration with Sexual Health and Assault Peer Educators  and the Center for Awareness, Response and Education.

Sex Week co-leader and Weinberg sophomore Kaleah Estep said the aim of the program is to promote students’ sexual health and confidence. She said the week looks to raise awareness and ensure sex becomes less taboo on campus. With Wednesday’s giveaway, she hoped to give students “the ability to try new things.”

“It shouldn’t be such a taboo subject. I believe people are scared and they think they should be scared to talk about it openly,” Estep said. “I don’t think it should matter. It can be a closed-off thing if you want it to be, but it could also be open if you want it.”

Weinberg senior Skylar Waldron was one of over a dozen people waiting for 1 p.m. on Wednesday, when the organizers would release a new batch of free sex toys from Chicago-based store Early to Bed.

Students lined up as early as 15 minutes before toys were distributed during “Wet Wednesday.” The week, which began with “Make-It-Spicy Monday,” also has educational programs led by SHAPE and CARE. 

Sex Week co-leader and Weinberg sophomore Jordyn Simon said the sex toy giveaway is “everyone’s favorite.” 

“We have dildos and vibrators,” Simon said. “We have some fun candles, and we have these cute, little, squishy penis toys, which are my favorite.”

Waldron described Sex Week as one dedicated to “educating and empowering” people in their sexual health journey. 

“A lot of (assigned female at birth) people are taught and shown that sexuality is a bad thing,” Waldron said. “You’re looked down upon if you’re a sexual being even though all people have hormones and bodies. So it’s nice to see something that is for everyone.”

Simon said she wants more conversations around sexual health but noted that these conversations also have to be inclusive and encompass topics like queer sex.

For example, Simon said her friends knew what dildos and vibrators were but did not know what a butt plug was.

SHAPE provided students access to lubricants, condoms and informational packets at the G-Spot on Monday. The group also held a “Hot and Sexy Chicken” conversation on safe sex, sexual pleasure and kinks Monday evening.  

To close out the week, CARE and the Women’s Center are hosting social worker and psychotherapist Sophia Etling (SESP ’18). 

Simon said the talk will be about safe sex practices, consent and sex work. 

Sex Week has been an NU staple for over a decade, a tradition Simon calls “exciting.” Planning for this year began in February. 

Last year’s programming spanned eight days. A statement on the Sex Week Instagram reads that the decision to shorten this year’s programming was made to support the NU Divestment Coalition — the group behind a five-day pro-Palestinian encampment on Deering Meadow — and “to keep attention focused on liberation.” 

David Samson contributed reporting.

X: @beatricedvilla