ASG gets $5K in aid for Shanley

Two weeks after an accident exemplified the run-down nature of Shanley Pavilion, a $5,000 anonymous donation will give the tiny theater venue the face-lift students say it needs.

Associated Student Government Executive Vice President Howard W. Buffett told The Daily he will announce the donation at this Wednesday’s Senate meeting.

At the same meeting, Senate will vote on a bill penned by Buffett and two student theater group leaders in ASG supporting improvements to Shanley.

The legislation is one of the rare bills to come from ASG’s Executive Committee and specifically references the $5,000.

The monetary donation was not solicited, but was donated by “individuals who are supportive of the performing arts, in general, who wanted to know how they could help the performing arts on campus,” Buffett said.

The bill was written in response to an Oct. 7 accident in Shanley when a dressing room light fell and hit Communication senior Mike Kopera in the head.

Several members of the arts community who have performed at Shanley said they think the renovation is essential.

“We want to voice enough concerns so they make renovations, but we don’t want to make such a stink so they close it and we don’t have a place (to perform),” said Gemma Mangione, a Medill sophomore.

Mangione, co-president of Significant Others, an all-women’s a capella group, said the group performed in Shanley last April and is hoping to host its spring show in the same venue this year.

“We love it because you can do whatever you want with the space,” Mangione said. “It’s a really good venue to perform in and everyone knows it.”

After the bill passes through the Senate, members of ASG, the Student Theatre Coalition and the administration will work together to fix the short-term problems and, they hope, work on a long-term goal, said Nicole Ripley, a Communication junior.

Ripley said the current conditions in Shanley are poor but stressed that theater students are “trying to lobby to make a positive change.”

Caroline Davis, president of Arts Alliance, said she looks forward to the renovations.

“I think that it’s very important that we ensure there is space for student theater to use,” said Davis, a Weinberg senior.

Arts Alliance is an umbrella group for smaller theater groups, but all are governed by the Student Theatre Coalition.

In his campaign for ASG executive vice president last year, Buffett said one of his main focuses would be working with theater and music groups to raise money for a new light board (The Daily, April 7, 2004).

Renovating Shanley is another step in his commitment to theater groups on campus, Buffett said.

Reach Alexis Crawford at [email protected].