U-lock, you lose? Bikes may no longer be safe

After reading an article in The New York Times about a design flaw in a popular bicycle U-lock, it didn’t take Weinberg sophomore Caitlin Grogan long to ditch the Kryptonite U-lock protecting her beloved retro-style bicycle.

“My parents sent me the (Times) article in the mail, along with a new lock,” Grogan said, displaying the coiled rubber piping of her new Serfas brand lock. “If someone who doesn’t even know how to break into locks can do it (to the U-lock), I’m definitely switching.”

Bicycle-lock maker Kryptonite faces at least five class-action lawsuits in the United States and Canada alleging that a flaw in its Evolution 2000 U-lock allows the tubular-style model to be popped open with a few twists from an ordinary ballpoint pen.

The company has touted the popular $50 lock as one of the best in the bicycle security market for more than 30 years.

Now concerned Kryptonite customers can exchange their U-locks for a free comparable non-tubular cylinder lock by mailing the original lock to Kryptonite, which is based in Massachusetts.

Details are on the company’s Web site, www.kryptonitelock.com.

But one suit, filed last week in San Francisco, alleges Kryptonite has known about the design flaw since 1992.

According to Kryptonite public relations manager Donna Tocci, the company only learned of the alleged flaw “within the last week.”

At least one Evanston bicycle store, as well as Kryptonite itself, said cyclists will soon have new lock options.

Tocci said Kryptonite is accelerating the launch of its new product line, which debuted in early September. The new lock, she said, is a disc-style cylinder that uses an elongated key.

And at Turin Bicycle, 1027 Davis St., customers will be able to buy flat-key U-locks probably by late next week, said general manager Chris Dimmick.

Turin is one of two bicycle stores in downtown Evanston that sells Kryptonite locks.

Sai Luo, a second-year NU graduate student, wheeled his green Trek bicycle out of Turin Saturday afternoon with plans to come back as soon as possible to replace his U-lock, which he said he bought just one or two weeks ago.

“(Then), my friend told me, ‘No, it’s not safe at all,'” he said. “I was very surprised.”

Luo said he is especially worried because his last bicycle was stolen about a month ago. Within the last week, two bicycles have been stolen from Evanston storage areas.

The Evanston and University Police departments were not available for comment Sunday, but Tocci said bicycle theft is a big problem on any urban campus.

“I will say what we have always said, right from the beginning,” she said. “You should really have two methods of locking your bicycle to make it more secure.”

Tocci also warned consumers that any cylinder lock is vulnerable to criminal activity.

“This is not just a Kryptonite issue,” she said.

For Weinberg sophomore Courtney Spalding-Mayer, this year is the first time she has had a bicycle on campus.

She said she told her mom she needed a U-lock because she “heard it was the only lock your bike would pretty much be safe with.”

But Spalding-Mayer said she is “not very surprised” that someone has found a way to pick the supposedly impenetrable lock. She was also not very concerned about her bicycle, which she said used to belong to her mom and is probably at least 30 years old.

“Whoever wants it, I guess they can have it,” she said.

A video of a Seattle man picking a Kryptonite U-lock with a Bic pen can be found at www.engadget.com.

Reach Marissa Conrad at [email protected]

Quick facts:

Kryptonite bicycle U-locks can be picked with a Bic pen.

Customers can exchange their locks for a new, harder-to-pick variety by mailing them to the company.

Because bike theft is comMonday, Kryptonite suggests using two methods to lock your bicycle to make it more secure.

For more information, see www.kryptonitelock.com.