Prof works to create black studies Ph.D.

The African-American studies department could boast it had many things — renowned faculty members, a comprehensive selection of courses and countless resources for students — but only recently could it claim to be working to create a Ph.D. program.

The newest addition to the department’s faculty, Darlene Clark Hine, is spearheading the departmentwide effort to create the pioneering program.

This program could establish NU as a leader in the field of African-American studies, said Weinberg Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs Aldon Morris.

Only six other schools in the nation offer such a program, including Harvard and the University of California-Berkeley.

“It’s only fitting that Northwestern has a Ph.D. program,” Morris said. “Hine will bring great experience and vision to the building of this program.”

Earlier this year, the university recruited Hine because of her extensive knowledge and research in her field.

Hine worked at Michigan State University for 17 years and helped to create an African-American studies Ph.D. program there.

Morris said no date has been set for when the Ph.D. program will be ready to accept students.

The main goal for Hine and the other professors in the department is to build a quality program, even if it takes several years.

Although Hine said bureaucracy and paperwork will be obstacles in developing the program, she is ready to embark on the challenge.

“If you build a strong program, then students will come,” Hine said.

Weinberg Dean Daniel Linzer said Hine has the talent to take the African-American studies department to the next level.

“Her extraordinary accomplishments and visibility send a strong signal to prospective students and faculty colleagues that Northwestern is the place to be,” Linzer said.

Recruiting an acclaimed professor like Hine to join NU is not an easy task, he said. Hine left her position as John A. Hannah Professor of History at Michigan State University, an honor only given to six faculty members at that school.

Here Hine joins only nine other acclaimed professors at the university to hold the title of Board of Trustees Professor. She also will oversee the African-American studies department this year in place of Prof. Dwight McBride, who is on leave.

Hine received a bachelor’s in history and English from Roosevelt University in 1968. And she earned her master’s in U.S. history and her doctorate in African-American history from Kent State University.

In the past two years, the African-American studies department’s faculty has expanded from three professors to 12.

“This university is deeply invested in this department,” Hine said.

Nationwide, there has been a strong interest in African-American studies, Hine said.

Weinberg junior James Concannon decided to minor in African-American studies after taking a course in the department.

Interested in minority movements and social reform, Concannon said NU’s courses provide in-depth courses on a variety of topics.

“The African American studies courses give you a completely different view of history,” he said. “Understanding the African-American perspective is essential to understanding history as a whole.”

Reach Stephanie Chen at [email protected].