Freshman starter sparks strong start

Ultimately, there was one reason midfielder David Roth chose towear Northwestern purple instead of Michigan maize and blue.

“I just really wanted to come where I had a chance to play,” thelean, sandy-haired freshman said with a grin.

On a team that coach Tim Lenahan has been rebuilding for thepast four years, young players have found playing time. Freshmenare expected to contribute and play big roles.

Last season’s top three scorers were freshmen, and anotherfirst-year player also started. Every NU point was scored by eithera freshman or a sophomore. And NU’s Gerardo Alvarez was namedco-Big Ten Freshman of the Year last season.

But this fall, Roth was the only freshman out of five to crackthe lineup.

The easygoing jokester from St. Louis already leads the Wildcatsin assists (6) and ranks third on the team in points (8). And NUhas had a school-best 5-1-1 start.

Roth isn’t surprised by his team’s record so far.

He knew coming in that the program was a few years into itsrebuilding plan. He also knew last year’s team had the Cats’ firstwinning record in 15 years.

“I was ready to go undefeated,” he said. “Honestly, at thispoint, we should be 7-0.”

But as for his personal performance, Roth said he feels lucky tohave had such an impressive opening month.

The freshman came to NU with a national championship title withhis under-18 club team, the Busch Soccer Club.

But club championships don’t guarantee a spot on the startinglineup.

“That was definitely my goal, but I didn’t know what coach hadin mind,” Roth said. “I’m glad I’ve done so well, but I’m still notthat great yet.”

“Not that great” is debatable. Roth leads the Big Ten in assistsand is ranked 10th nationally in the category.

He has worked out his first-year jitters in a one-month period.Roth said he feels completely comfortable playing with histeammates and finding them on the field, which has helped him putup the scoring numbers.

“I feel like I’ve played with them for years,” he said.

Feeling close to his teammates has helped his transition tocollege life, Roth said. Just having an instant group of friendsrelieves social stress and helps make little things like choosingand finding classes easier.

Roth, an enthusiastic drummer, also found new bandmates in someteammates who play guitar.

At home Roth played in a band with his twin brother, Dan, butthe group split before college.

NU coach Tim Lenahan said Roth’s musical background helps him onthe field.

“I think he feels the rhythm of the game a little better thansome of the other guys,” Lenahan said.

Reach Courtney McCarty at

[email protected].