Wailers picked as headliner for Dillo bash

Bob Marley may be dead, but The Wailers will pay tribute to his roots-reggae style as the headlining band for Dillo Day on May 29.

Northwestern lawyers approved the contract with the band — made famous when Marley was the lead singer — on Friday, Mayfest co-chairwoman Sarah Purdy said.

The group has a new lead singer and continues to carry out the music made popular by Marley and current bandmate Aston “Familyman” Barrett. Marley and The Wailers sold more than 250 million records worldwide.

Music freshman Robert Meier attended a Wailers concert in Washington, D.C., and said he is excited to see the group again.

“At the concert I went to, they were playing the Bob Marley songs, but the lead singer wasn’t trying to act like Bob Marley,” Meier said. “He was doing his own thing.”

Purdy said Mayfest considered The Roots and Guster for Dillo Day, but both groups had scheduling conflicts for the day. A&O Productions managed to bring The Roots for its annual A&O Ball on April.

Purdy said finding a band to come specifically for Dillo Day can be challenging.

“Because it’s a fixed date, it’s a lot harder to get an act to confirm,” said Purdy, adding bands either need to have neighboring dates for other concerts in the area or money to draw them into playing at the show.

Battle of the Bands winner The Foster-Walker Complex will act as the opening band, kicking off the day-long concerts around mid-day, said Purdy, an Education junior. Five other bands will serve as support bands throughout the day, but Purdy said she couldn’t announce the names because contracts aren’t finalized.

Despite limitations of money and logistics, Purdy said the group was able to bring a diverse range of music that is “pretty similar to last year.”

Last year’s Dillo Day included bands with electronic, funk reggae and indie-rock influences. Purdy said Mayfest hopes the bands will appeal to a broad range of students.

“We feel The Wailers will be an act that people really enjoy,” Purdy said. “Most people know at least one of the songs. A lot of people will hopefully enjoy the day.”

Weinberg sophomore Mike Loquercio said the band’s unique, mellow sound embodies the spirit of Dillo Day.

“I think it will really fit with the environment of Dillo Day, just really laid-back and community, everybody chilling together,” Loquercio said. “It’s really passionate, that kind of music, and it’s a really different perspective from Western culture.”

The Daily’s Samantha Nelson contributed to this report.