ASG’s proposal for NU Club draws support, criticism

Associated Student Government’s latest effort to foster community on campus is taking a luxurious form: a posh downtown club.

The proposed Northwestern Club of Chicago, in its earliest stages of development, would be an exclusive establishment providing services specifically for alumni, students, faculty and their families.

“I think there would be lots of pride and exclusivity (in a downtown Northwestern Club),” said off-campus Sen. Zach Benjamin, who is heading up the effort. “Being able to showcase our resources in this way puts us in an elite group of schools.”

Typical of many elite universities, clubs provide upscale services and events to foster school spirit. The Harvard Club of Boston, founded in 1908, features fitness facilities, a restaurant, and lodging and reception halls.

“Clubs primarily give students a means to feel they belong to something more than just a classroom or a place to pay their tuition,” said Benjamin, a Communication junior. “Students can be part of a very extended family of NU students, faculty and alumni.”

Students gave mixed reactions to the proposed Northwestern Club.

“We need something like that,” said Sara Khan, a Weinberg sophomore. “I feel like going to Chicago is something people don’t explore enough. If there was a center, it would be a fun place to hang out and meet people out of the context of academics.”

Khan also said it would be a good way to meet students from the Chicago Campus, with whom she rarely interacts.

Daniel Gross, a Weinberg sophomore, doubted whether a Northwestern Club would be as successful as Ivy League clubs.

“(Ivy League schools’ student bodies) seem to have much more school spirit,” said Gross, who added that the Cornell Club-New York is a popular hangout for family members who attend the university. “I don’t think we could get nearly the same turnout because we don’t have the same morale.”

Benjamin said he expects the Northwestern Club committee to have a tentative budget finalized by the end of the school year and plans to also test interest by partnering with a non-academic downtown club, such as the Standard Club. He also said the NU Alumni Association is helping with the project, but at this point students are doing most of the planning.

“This could be something that you can go to and not only feel pride in the school, but also … be part of the Northwestern community in a new and elegant setting,” Benjamin said.