Leaders urge expansion of Asian studies

More than 30 leaders of cultural groups sent a letter to Weinberg Dean Daniel Linzer on Thursday that demanded immediate changes in Northwestern”s Asian-American studies program because they are disgruntled with the progress of the department.

NU has failed to maintain staffing to teach classes in the program, which has had three different directors in its four years, the letter states.

The program will offer only three courses in Spring Quarter, which indicates a lack of concern about the program, according to Howard Lien, president of Asian American Students United.

‘In the face of an administration that doesn”t seem to care (about Asian-American studies), we”ve tried to be optimistic,’ said Lien, who said he compiled more than 50 pages of research for the letter. ‘But it hasn”t really brought much to us in the way of results.’

The letter comes after three meetings since June between administrators and an Asian-American studies task force about the issue. Despite the task force”s complaints, Lien, a Weinberg senior, said administrators still have ‘no long- or even short-term plan’ for the program.

The letter”s signatories ‘demand’ that Linzer conduct a faculty search for a director whose primary focus is Asian-American studies. The current director, sociology Prof. Aldon Morris, was not available for comment.

The letter calls for administrators to hire a tenured faculty member to teach a political science, anthropology or psychology class by Fall 2004, as well as a 15 to 18 academic course curriculum. It also states that administrators should hire at least three core faculty members in the next three years.

Linzer said he received the letter at about 4 p.m. Thursday and was not yet able to comment on specific claims mentioned in the letter.

‘We plan on studying these issues very carefully, research them and will respond directly to the students involved,’ Linzer said.

The document asks for a response in the next three days.

This is not the first time Asian-American students have asked for improvements in the program. Lien said the task force met in January with officials, who said limited faculty and a tight budget have prevented the program from flourishing.

Lien said he believes funds are not readily available, but administrators could reallocate money to the program if they make it a priority.

‘It”s like when I say, “I have no money,”‘ Lien said. ‘That means there”s no money in my wallet. It doesn”t mean there isn”t any money in my checking account.’

With support of groups ranging from the Chinese Students Association to black student alliance For Members Only, Lien said he hopes administrators will take the concerns seriously.

‘Our fear is that they misconstrued the small number of people meeting with them to mean that there wasn”t broad-based support for the issue,’ Lien said. ‘Now we are demonstrating that people from all over are concerned and that will produce results.’

Karla Diaz, president of Hispanic and Latino student group Alianza, said she signed the letter to show ‘strong support’ for cultural studies. The Weinberg junior said Alianza could lobby for more Latino studies classes next quarter.

‘The letter raises a lot of issues that the Latino community is concerned with,’ Diaz said. ‘I find the message very symbolic.’

Lien said the task force remains ‘cautiously optimistic’ about the letter but is preparing to take additional steps if Linzer does not meet their demands.

Asian-American students in 1995 went on a 21-day hunger strike to petition for an Asian-American studies minor.

NU began offering the minor in 2000.