Residents more accepting but still uneasy about Clark condos

Some Evanston residents who initially opposed a new Clark Street condominium complex have come to accept a modified building plan, though some concern remains.

Developer Thomas Roszak will build four condominium buildings with 222 units at 1100 Clark St. and 15 townhouses near the intersection of Clark Street and Ridge Avenue. Evanston City Council approved Roszak’s plans at a Jan. 26 meeting.

Roszak could not be reached for comment about the new development.

Roszak altered his plans in response to complaints from nearby residents, who said the new buildings wouldn’t fit into their neighborhood.

“Initially, I thought it was a design too large for the space, and I opposed it,” said Don Gold, Medill ’53, whose condo at 1111 Church St. will share an alley with Roszak’s new buildings. “But to his credit, Mr. Roszak went back and changed it.”

Changes to the original plans include a decreased number of units as well as reduced building height. But the overall design — which some call unattractive — has not changed.

“The problem that persists with me is if the design still isn’t very good, why be satisfied with it?” said Ald. Edmund Moran (6th).

But the new buildings will satisfy the city economically, bringing an estimated $1.4 million annually in taxes, Moran said. Roszak will also repave Oak and Clark streets, a pledge that has helped residents accept his construction plans.

“He’s going to repave some streets that desperately need it,” said Sue Walton, Rules Chair of the 1111 Church St. Condominium Association. Walton said while she isn’t thrilled about Roszak’s new development, she isn’t against it. Some of her fellow residents agree.

“You can’t stop people from building, but you can force someone to build responsibly, with a neighborhood in mind,” Gold said.

Roszak, who has advertised his company as Evanston’s hometown developer, has been receptive to neighborhood needs, said Ald. Lionel Jean-Baptiste (2nd).

At least one resident, however, called Roszak anything but receptive.

“He’s a rough guy to deal with and doesn’t want to talk to the community,” said Joyce Elias, a 48-year-old resident who said her house was damaged during the construction of Chicago Avenue Place, a Roszak condominium complex that opened in October 2001. Neighborhood complaints only died down “because there was nothing else anyone could do,” Elias said.

Elias currently is involved in a lawsuit with Roszak’s company regarding the alleged damages. The suit is awaiting a trial date, she said.

Walton said while she is concerned about similar harm to her building, Roszak has told 1111 Church St. residents his insurance policy will cover any damages.

Despite that and other concessions to residents, Elias said she is not convinced.

“He calls himself the hometown builder, but meanwhile he lives in unincorporated Northbrook,” she said. “He just drives in in his SUV, builds what he wants and leaves.”