Revisiting ‘Classic’ memories

Northwestern 54, Michigan 51.

The Wildcats (6-6, 3-3 Big Ten) usually frown upon talking about games from past seasons, but this week the questions only brought smiles to their faces.

NU’s 2:30 p.m. game against the No. 5 Wolverines (8-2, 5-1) at Ryan Field on Saturday has rekindled memories of the last time the two teams squared off, back in 2000.

“I have never coached a game like that,” said NU coach Randy Walker with a smile. “And I probably will never again.”

In 2000 the then-No. 21 Cats racked up a school-record 654 yards, and the then-No. 12 Wolverines squad, which was loaded with stars such as wide receiver David Terrell and running back Anthony Thomas, had a measly 535 yards.

But what Walker recalls most vividly was when NU running back Damien Anderson dropped the winning touchdown pass in the end zone on a fourth-down play with a minute and a half remaining in the game.

“I remember going over to Damien and telling him how proud I was he kept his head up after the drop,” Walker said. “But he said to me, ‘Coach, don’t worry, we are going to get the ball back and win.'”

And that they did. Thomas fumbled the ball on the ensuing possession, and NU quarterback Zak Kustok connected with Sam Simmons for the winning score with 20 seconds remaining in the game.

NU students swarmed the field and tried to tear down the goalpost.

“It was a magical moment for us and for NU football,” said cornerback Marvin Ward, who was a redshirt freshman. “It was an awesome experience and it showed me how bad I really wanted to play.”

“It’s a classic,” Walker said. “I hate to borrow the ESPN line, but there is no better description.”

Walker said he hasn’t watched the entire game since 2000, but many of his players have caught the game on television several times.

“I love to watch it when it comes on ESPN Classic,” said senior safety Torri Stuckey. “It brings back good memories.”

Many upperclassmen have fond memories of the game, but even the Cats’ younge players know its significance.

“I saw the Michigan game on my visit three of four times,” safety Dominique Price said. “On the bus downtown, on the bus back — it was the only game I saw before I came here. It was definitely part of why I came here.”

Michigan returns to Ryan Field this year with hopes of a Big Ten title. The Wolverines have allowed only 16 points a game, and have the conference’s second-highest scoring offense with 37 points a game.

Quarterback John Navarre leads an aerial attack averaging 268 yards per game while running back Chris Perry has racked up more than 1,300 yards this season.

“The thing that makes them tough is the diversity they have,” Walker said.

“They have as good of balance on the offensive side of the ball as anyone we have faced.”

Saturday is the final home game for 10 NU seniors, and playing Michigan has led many of the seniors to reminisce about the 2000 game.

“This year’s game brings back memories,” said senior wide receiver Kunle Patrick. “But I hope it does not have to come down to the wire this year for us to win.”