2 groups net win in funds appeal

In a heated four-hour meeting of the Associated Student Government, senators voted to allocate $1,115 in additional funds to student groups that appealed the Fall Quarter supplemental funding recommendations.

After five groups — Peace Project, Vertigo, WAVE Productions, Northwestern Community Ensemble and College Republicans — appealed the recommendations, senators allocated funds to only Vertigo and Niteskool.

The Student Activities Finance Board and ASG senators grilled student group representatives about their fiscal responsibility. Senators had about $10,000 to dole out to groups that appealed recommendations. The leftover funds will be deposited into the spring funding cycle.

Several groups were displeased by the result of their appeals.

NCE executive members said their past performance merited their request for $3,000 to fund a winter concert.

“We are a very prestigious organization that constantly gives high-quality concerts,” said Ketica Guter, a Weinberg sophomore and NCE member. “For the Senate to recommend not to give us any funds, that hurts the upward progression (of our programming).”

Senators who opposed NCE’s appeals pointed to the group’s financial-misconduct infraction in Spring Quarter. The group was found guilty of improperly distributing 500 tickets for an event funded by the Student Activities Fee.

Erica Williamson, ASG’s financial vice president, emphasized that there are lasting consequences following a financial misconduct charge. Williamson, a McCormick senior, added that NCE’s funding reduction was consistent with past reductions following similar problems.

NCE President Tiffany Beard said she was disappointed with but not surprised at the Senate’s decision.

“I think they had their minds made up,” said Beard, a Communication senior. “They were going to continue to argue against it until they had a majority of senators persuaded.”

NCE was not the only group to be denied funding. Peace Project was denied the $1,344 the group had requested for the production of its magazine, The Protest.

The group had been granted $1,980 for the production of the magazine during the spring funding cycle, but member Naureen Shah said the staff has grown and they now can produce more issues of the magazine.

But senators said the group did not provide sufficient evidence that it could effectively produce and distribute two issues per quarter.

Shah said she felt the funding process was unfair to certain student groups because members of the board have vested interests in some student groups and not others.

“(SAFB) is so dominated by insiders,” said Shah, a Medill senior. “I do respect the fact that they put in so much work and so much time. The problem is with the system.”

But Williamson said that system is fair because most groups accept the funding recommendations.

WAVE Productions requested $450 to fund an answering machine and tools for set production. But the Senate voted against the group’s appeal, with many senators saying its request was too broad.

“We feel like we asked for a minor amount of money for what our needs as a group are,” said Nicole Ripley, the group’s president. “We’re hoping it would be clear that we are spending (the money) on things that are critical.”

WAVE member Alex Glaser added that he thought SAFB was not familiar enough with a theater group’s operating needs. The group needs to wait until after its Fall Quarter production to assess which tools it needs to buy, he said.

“To be a responsible student funding board, they should be more familiar with student-funded production companies on campus,” said Glaser, a Communication sophomore.