Receiver out for season with injury; corner bucking up after falling down (Football)

Junior Ashton Aikens leaned against the goal post and watched the other wide receivers practice catching fades at Tuesday’s practice. Aikens wasn’t wearing his helmet or shoulder pads, just shorts and a T-shirt.

Aikens will have to get used to watching from the sidelines after suffering a season-ending anterior cruciate ligament injury in the Wildcats’ 42-17 loss to Minnesota on Saturday.

Northwestern coach Randy Walker said Aikens, who started the first six games at wide receiver, will have surgery soon to repair his left knee.

“It’s one thing when you lose a good receiver and a good player, but he’s also such an important part of our football team inspirationally,” Walker said. “He plays hard and he’s a warrior.”

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Aikens was the Cats’ third leading receiver this year with 18 catches for 154 yards. Aikens, a running back in high school, had 63 rushing yards on seven reverses this year while also covering punts.

Aikens was hurt when he was tackled near the sideline Saturday after a five-yard catch in the third quarter.

Sophomore Mark Philmore will replace Aikens in the starting lineup.

“Ashton is a great player and no one worked harder than him this offseason,” quarterback Brett Basanez said. “I feel real bad for him and it’s a tragedy so to speak.”

Backed up: After Minnesota’s Jared Ellerson racked up 189 yards receiving against NU cornerback Jeff Backes on Saturday, the sophomore wide receiver wasn’t shy about the reason behind his big game.

“We watched film all week long and we saw it was easy to run past (Backes),” said Ellerson on Saturday after burning Backes for two touchdown catches of 96 yards and 82 yards. “You just keep your head down and run.”

Ellerson earned Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week honors for his performance one week after Ohio State flanker Michael Jenkins had five catches against Backes.

“I think I have set up a nice target for them (to throw at),” Backes said. “I can either bow down — which I’m not going to do — or I can look at it as more opportunities to make plays.”

Backes has not lost his confidence and coach Walker said he still has faith in Backes as a cornerback, despite the fact Backes was taken out of the game for a series in the third quarter against Minnesota.

“Cornerback is a tough position to play and you need to have a lot of confidence and a short memory,” Walker said. “I think Jeff Backes is a strong enough kid to do that and he will bounce back.”

Cornerback is the third position Backes has played at NU. He started his career as a running back and was moved to wide receiver last season.

“Though he would like to be great, he’s not a great cornerback,” said safety Torri Stuckey, who also used to play running back. “He’s a great player, just not a great corner yet.”

He’s the man: After NU’s loss to Minnesota, coach Walker didn’t reveal who would start at quarterback.

But after reviewing the film, Walker has the answer.

Sophomore Brett Basanez remains the starter.

“He’s the best player and there’s no doubt about it,” Walker said. “He practices better and makes better decisions than anyone else. Everything we have to go on points to him as our best quarterback.”

Basanez struggled at times against the Golden Gophers, but Walker didn’t go to back-up Alexander Webb until NU’s final possession of the game.

Walker said he hopes to continue getting the speedy Webb on the field for a change of pace. But when asked if Basanez would play a key role in the future, Walker couldn’t help but laugh.

“I hope he’s a good player for the next three years,” Walker said. “We have invested a lot in him.”

Inches to go: The Cats will not have the services of suspended offensive linemen Bill Newton and Scott Crohn. Both players were charged with disorderly conduct and criminal trespassing Saturday night … Junior defensive tackle Colby Clark returns to the Cats’ lineup this Saturday after missing last week’s game because of academic reasons.