PLAY CORNER: Drink these guides up

Did your “book” money turn into “beer” money this September? Mine did. The textbooks at Norris can’t hold a candle to Corona but you can drop an honest dollar this fall on a bartending book. My friends each unwrapped at least one when they turned legal. Here’s what to pick up and pass up.

Sharon and Ron Herbst’s paperback, “The Ultimate A-To-Z Bar Guide” ($15), is touted as “accessible, fun, hip.” It’s about as fun as hip replacement. Complete with an inane pronunciation guide (“ah as in father”), the Herbsts bring new meaning to the quip “too much information.” The authors (who also, shocker, penned “The Wine Lover’s Companion”) should stick to vino. What college student wants a booze book that maligns the Jell-o shot?

Salvatore Calabrese does it right in the “Complete Home Bartender’s Guide” ($15). The hardcover, spiral bound volume serves up 780 recipes and exceptionally large print, just in case the bartender’s been indulging herself. With color photos, an extensive chapter on shooters and recipes for Calabrese’s own concoctions included, this one’s a winner.

Looking to impress? A bartender friend tells me the “Mr. Boston Official Bartender’s and Party Guide” ($11) is the definitive imbibing Bible. Currently available in its 65th edition, the “drinking directory’s” sleek design and wealth of information continue to move it off the shelves. But if you’re looking for trendy sips or ease of use, turn Mr. Boston down. It’s the traditional industry mainstay for a reason.

If Sex on the Beach is nothing more than an itchy proposition, try “Bartending for Dummies” ($16). Author Ray Foley (publisher of Bartender magazine) makes creating a home bar simple and fun. Foley tells you what tools are essential, how to make a toast and before you know it, you’re taking over for Tom Cruise in “Cocktail.” Save a spot for this one next to your Intro to Soc book.