Racist incidents prompt new programs for freshmen next fall

Northwestern will introduce two new educational programs FallQuarter encouraging incoming freshman to embrace diversity, butsome students and administrators say they are not sure the programswill curtail problems with racism.

After the racial and religious vandalism on campus, NU needed anew approach to educating about tolerance, said Jen Meyers, thestudent transitions coordinator who organizes New Student Weekactivities.

There have been five reports of racial and religious vandalismsince February. In the most recent incident, two students found theword “nigger” and a drawing of a man with a rope around his neck ontheir door in Ayers College of Commerce and Industry early Tuesdaymorning, and a nearby resident had the phrase “black monkey”scrawled on his door.

Instead of creating a new diversity course, Meyers said sheplans to mandate that incoming students attend a conference orlecture on the subject by November.

“We’re trying to utilize the resources that will be happeningfirst quarter,” Meyers said. “Racism can be a sensitive topic andby giving students until November to listen to a lecture, we’regiving time to become more comfortable.”

Students also can attend a “No Place For Hate” workshop, whichwill address the consequence of hate crimes, Meyers said.Administrators who attended a “Stop the Hate” conference earlierthis year will conduct the workshops.

Although educational programming so far has not stoppedincidences of racial and religious epithets, Meyers said she stillthinks NU should maintain programs that encourage diversity.

“The problem with programs like these is they sometimes preachto the choir,” Meyers said. “But you still want to be getting theword out. If someone has hate in their heart, it might not meananything to them. But, who knows, it might do somethingpositive.”

Tracy Carson, coordinator of black-student alliance For MembersOnly, said she thinks educational programs have a limited effect oncampus tolerance and suggested cultural groups co-sponsor eventswith non-cultural groups to increase awareness about minorityissues.

But until racism is eliminated, minority students need safehavens where they can openly express their culture, Carsonsaid.

“We can meet and rally all we want, but we can’t combat anideology of racism,” said Carson, a Weinberg junior. “That’s whyplaces like the Black House are necessary — to provide comfort andsupport for blacks and allow for other people to learn about theculture.”