Senators to examine bills on redistricting, recycling

In addition to hearing three new bills at their final meeting ofthe quarter, Associated Student Government senators will vote onfive pieces of legislation tonight — including a bill that callsfor student input in the possible redistricting of Evanston’swards.

Rainbow Alliance Sen. John Hughes authored the bill, which asksEvanston City Council to delay the possible redistricting ofEvanston’s wards until students return for classes in the fall.

The city currently plans to offer a number of meetings thissummer to gauge the views of residents on the proposals. Somesenators are worried that a plan passed during the summer mightdivide Northwestern into three different voting blocks and dilutethe voice of on-campus students.

“We think that the city council makes a lot of very, veryimportant decisions, and we think it’s very important that studentshave an opportunity to affect those decisions,” said Hughes, aWeinberg sophomore and former Daily former editor.

Another bill requires Northwestern Health Services to makereproductive health educator sessions optional for students.

The sessions are currently mandatory for female students beforetheir first gynecological exam, but many students feeluncomfortable with the group format of the meetings.

Senators also will consider a bill asking that credit and debitmachines be installed in a la carte dining locations on campus.Some machines already are in place after senators met with DiningServices last week to discuss the project’s feasibility.

Another bill up for Senate consideration asks for more recyclingstations on campus and requests that the university establish acentral recycling facility.

“There are several parts of the recycling program that could seeimprovement and expansion, and this bill seeks to address thisissue,” said Student for Ecologoical and Environmental DevelopmentSen. Adam Forsyth, a Weinberg sophomore and co-author of thebill.

One other piece of legislation to be voted on tonight announcesthe second Big Bite Night, a Fall Quarter event where students cansample free cuisine from local restaurants.

After voting on those five bills, senators will turn to threepieces of new legislation that will only take effect this academicyear if they are passed as emergency legislation.

One new bill asks the Office of Undergraduate Housing to speedthe creation of a system allowing undergraduates to register forhousing online. The process is in the works but might take anothertwo years, according to Zachary Benjamin, author of the bill.

ASG President Mike Fong will present a bill asking thatperishable bakery items sold at Norris University Center be pricedhalf off after 10 p.m.

Another bill seeks to improve upon the WildCARD Advantageprogram, which provides student discounts at local businesses. Thebill calls for all promotional matter for the program to reflectits recently changed Web site address,wildcardadv.northwestern.edu. To further improve the program’simage, the bill asks for the HereAndNow link to refer to the siteas WildCARD Advantage Discounts. It is currently just referred toas WildCARD Advantage.

The bill, which also calls for increasing publicity for theprogram, was changed from its original form, which called for thechanging of the program’s Web site address, after ExternalRelations Committee members realized the task already had beencompleted.

The Senate meeting will be at 7 p.m. tonight in Norris’Northwestern Room and is open to the public.