Faculty honor roll ceremony to celebrate profs, administrators

Students will recognize 60 outstanding faculty and administrators today in an annual honor roll presentation ceremony, organized by the Associated Student Government.

More than 1,600 students voted online in mid-April to recognize their favorite professors and administrators at NU. According to ASG Academic Vice President Prajwal Ciryam, nearly 600 faculty members and administrators were nominated.

“It’s really important to encourage these professors,” said Ciryam, a Weinberg freshman. “These are the model professors for the university, and they have touched so many lives.”

Student presenters will honor 55 faculty members and five administrators at the ceremony. The students will give a brief speech on the merits of the honoree.

ASG coordinated honor rolls in the 1980s and early 1990s, but last year ASG hosted the first formal presentation ceremony.

This year is the first time the event is open to the public.

Ciryam said that at a research-oriented university like NU, it is essential to recognize faculty who devote themselves to teaching.

He said making the event public is the best way to recognize the efforts of the faculty and administrators.

“These professors have put tremendous effort into teaching students,” Ciryam said. “For that, I think they deserve to have this as a public event.”

Tamara Kagel, former ASG academic vice president and current student services vice president, said she is proud that this event is becoming a strong tradition.

“It’s just an amazing opportunity to give back to the faculty that gives to us on a daily basis,” said Kagel, a Communication junior.

The presentation is scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m. in the Louis Room at Norris University Center. The event is open to the public and all members of the university community are invited to attend.