New group hopes for outside-in ASG reform

A new student group formed to increase the power of the Associated Student Government’s Senate plans to begin working to reduce the influence of the group’s Executive Board, members of the new organization said Tuesday.

The group, Students for a Stronger Voice, contains 20 students — mainly ASG senators and other student leaders. The members don’t plan to leave ASG; instead they said they will work within the organization to effect change.

Mitch Holzrichter, chairman of the new group and an ASG judicial board member, said Students for a Stronger Voice aims to create a more “centralized voice” within ASG.

“I think that unless there’s a really large push, the Executive Board won’t consider internal change,” said Holzrichter, a Weinberg sophomore who also serves as advertising manager of Students Publishing Co., which publishes The Daily. “We hope a group forms that disagrees with us, too. A debate can only occur when you have two opinions.”

Students for a Stronger Voice might suggest that the Undergraduate Budget Priorities Committee, a group unaffiliated with ASG that lobbies administrators to fund projects, become a Senate committee. The new group also is looking to print an introduction to the student handbook outlining rights, Holzrichter said.

Another goal of the new organization is to reform the Student Organization Financial Office, which manages student-group funds.

ASG President Mike Fong said he is willing to hear any ideas or proposals from the group, although he disagrees with their focus.

“Their vision is slightly incongruous with what’s at the forefront of my mission,” Fong said. “Their vision is more indirectly working to improve the structure (of ASG).”

Fong, a Weinberg junior, said the Executive Board is more concerned with issues that affect students rather than internal change.

But Holzrichter said senators, who directly represent students, should direct ASG’s goals. “The agenda that needs to be pushed is the agenda of the Senate, not the agenda of the Executive Board.”

Communication sophomore Jordan Cerf, press secretary for Students for a Stronger Voice and an Allison Hall senator, said he hopes the new group can serve as forum for all students voices. “My hope is that this isn’t just for disenfranchised and frustrated senators.”