Student groups absent for retreat could face penalties

Associated Student Government’s Leadership Advisory Boardworkshop — which could result in frozen accounts and student groupderecognition.

About 155 Northwestern students and administrators will attendthe workshop at the Hyatt Regency O’Hare on Sunday, ASG ExecutiveVice President Bryan Tolles said. More than 100 student groups wereinvited to participate.

The day-long retreat teaches leaders how to transition theirexecutive boards and to work with ASG to streamlineprogramming.

As of Monday night, 31 groups were not registered for theworkshop, according to an e-mail sent by Tolles to the Senate andstudent group listservs. But he estimated that half of those groupshad conflicts, such as Special Olympics and Greek Week.

Austin Harvey, co-president of Amnesty International, saidExecutive Committee members misplaced the registration form for hisgroup’s treasurer.

“I don’t know if (the workshop) is something worth gettingexcited over,” said Harvey, a Communication junior. “I wouldn’tcall it excitement by any stretch of the imagination.”

Groups will have the opportunity to attend a make-up session inlate May, said Tolles, a Weinberg sophomore.

He said there are serious penalties for not attending theretreat.

“If you can’t use funds, you can’t program,” Tolles said. “Ifyou can’t program, you can’t be a student group.”

Tolles said coordinating events among student groups, which is apart of the workshop, has always has been a goal of ASG.

“We hope the student groups have some fun with this (and) learna lot,” he said. “Hopefully this can lead to some co-sponsorshipsor co-endorsements of some student group programming.”