Medill sophomore appointed to ‘Helm’ of summer Daily

Medill sophomore Elaine Helm was appointed editor in chief of The Summer Northwestern Monday by board members of the Students Publishing Company, a nonprofit organization made up of students and faculty that publishes The Daily and Syllabus.

Although her application for the position was uncontested, Helm said she plans to take her job seriously and cover more on-campus issues than past summer editions have included. The Summer Northwestern is a weekly extension of The Daily that comes out each Thursday. Helm will oversee six issues and produce The Daily’s Freshman Survival Guide as her final task.

“The are a lot of opportunities that present themselves during the summer, and because most students aren’t taking classes, they have more flexibility in their schedules to try something new, like write for the paper,” Helm said. “Those are the type of people I’d like to include in my staff, as well as people who have experience and know what they are doing.”

Board Chairman William Revelle said he was intrigued by Helm’s plans for The Summer Northwestern and her previous journalism experience.

“She clearly thought about what she could do to make The Summer Northwestern a good place for reporters to train on and she also came highly recommended to us,” said Revelle, who is also a psychology professor.

Helm has worked at The Daily since her freshman year. She served as deputy campus editor Winter Quarter and is currently the editor in chief of nyou, The Daily’s weekly magazine.

Adam Williams, the current editor in chief of The Daily and former managing editor of The Summer Northwestern, said he is excited about Helm’s plans.

“Elaine has a lot of leadership qualities that are needed and she knows her stuff — that’s the bottom line,” said Williams, a Communication junior.