Changing of the guards

When Rachel Lopez was elected Associated Student Government president last year in a contentious election, it was heralded as a mandate for ASG to move in a new direction.

Lopez’s blend of activism and optimism, along with a promise to make ASG a more proactive organization, defeated group insiders Bassel Korkor, a former speaker of the Senate, and Courtney Brunsfeld, a former student services vice president.

But as Lopez ends her term at tonight’s Senate meeting to make room for ASG President-elect Mike Fong, Lopez time at the helm might be remembered more for internal squabbles and resignations of three Executive Board members than for any goals she was able to accomplish.

“There were a lot of internal issues that kept me from working on some of the projects I would have liked to work on this year,” said Lopez, a Weinberg senior who was ASG’s first Latina president.

Although she is proud of the Executive Board’s efforts to produce a fund-raising guide for student groups and the beginning of a civil rights program, she said, other demands made the presidential position difficult to manage.

“There’s a lot of things that aren’t your passion, but you have to do them as a representative of the student body,” she said. “It’s probably one of the worst positions on campus.”

‘A reality check’

Lopez, who sailed into office after receiving 59.6 percent of the vote in the presidential runoff, had tried to establish a Latino studies program and took an active role in protesting administrators’ plans to fill in part of the Lagoon before her election.

Before taking office Lopez served as an ASG senator for three years, representing International Studies Residential College, Latino student group Alianza and off-campus students while serving on ASG’s academic committee.

But unlike predecessors Adam Humann and Jordan Heinz, Lopez had never served on ASG’s Executive Board before and, she said, she encountered some unanticipated obstacles.

For example, SSVP Tiffany Berry, Treasurer J.D. Robertson and Rules Chairman Jason Warren all resigned during her term.

“I think that every president that comes in gets a reality check,” Lopez said. “It’s a lot more complicated than you expect.”

Warren said dissatisfaction with ASG’s direction led partially to his resignation.

“I was spending more time dealing with external Exec Board problems than actually helping students,” said Warren, a Communication junior.

The Executive Board, which featured three other first-time officers in the elected positions, also had trouble managing contracts for the Chicago Weekend Shuttle and releasing its annual budget on time.

Nicole Mash, former ASG executive vice president, said despite the shortcomings Lopez still pulled off a successful term. “The organization has had a phenomenal year,” said Mash, a Weinberg senior. “And you can’t have a phenomenal year without a phenomenal leader.”

The Conciliator

Lopez emphasized during her campaign for president that she wanted to help ASG initiate change and not serve only as a reactionary body.

She characterized the increased programming and attendance at the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Day events as one of her major triumphs. Lopez coordinated the event’s new civil rights program, in which middle- and high-school students were able to participate.

“What gave me the most pride was when I saw all the students taking notes at Cornell West’s speech,” Lopez said. “Just to see the brightness — it made me proud to have brought them here.”

But when she was unable to accomplish some of the goals on her platform — such as convincing administrators to announce tuition increases in advance — Lopez said she realized the ASG president also needs to be flexible.

In her platform Lopez said she hoped ASG could focus on one major goal each year. She originally thought her Executive Board could improve on- and off-campus lighting so that students would feel safer, but she realized concentrating on one goal would limit the group.

“A large push has been on safety this year, but it hasn’t been the only push,” she said.

Although not all of Lopez’s ventures were successful, Joel Richlin, ASG campus public relations chairman, praised her work. “She’s incredibly patient, she’s very strong, she’s graceful in everything she does,” said Richlin, whom Lopez appointed after serving as her campaign manager.

Lopez attempted to expand interaction with student groups throughout her term by attending executive-board meetings for the Residence Hall Association, Residential College Board, Panhellenic Association and Interfraternity Council.

ASG adviser Mark Witte, an economics lecturer, said Lopez’s role as a conciliator showed her in her element.

Said Witte, “She’s the sort of person that likes to work out a deal where everyone feels they’re getting at least part of what they want.”

Keeping the momentum

Even though her term ends tonight, Lopez said she plans to stay involved during her last few weeks on campus. Lopez said working late hours was her favorite part of serving as president and also said she enjoyed coordinating efforts with the ASG Executive Board.

Lopez said she realized the importance of transition within a group during her term.

“I wish I would have taken time to learn from last year’s Exec Board,” Lopez said. “What I did get was very helpful, and I should have sought out more.”

President-elect Fong will be sworn in along with Academic Vice President-elect Prajwal Ciryam at tonight’s 6 p.m. Senate meeting at in the Northwestern Room. Fong said he admires Lopez’s openness to suggestion.

“I’m interested in keeping up the momentum,” Fong said. “She’s the best.”

Lopez also extended advice to the new group of ASG leaders who will take her place.

“My biggest advice,” Lopez said, “is just to really focus the group’s efforts on specific goals, leaving room for issues you have to leave time for.”