Red, blue and White: NU’s ‘All American Girl’

Natalie White does not want to be your next American Idol.

“I don’t ever want to be pushed into a competition in which I can only use a few of my talents,” the 21-year-old Weinberg senior says. “Plus, I didn’t want to sleep outside for two days just to get an audition.”

Rather, White is channeling her singing talent — not to mention her dancing ability, classical piano training, intelligence and athletic prowess — toward a different goal. Namely, to be the first “All American Girl” on ABC’s new reality show.

“I was drawn to this competition because it allowed me to do a little of everything I do,” White says during a phone interview from Los Angeles.

To White the “All American Girl” is a well-rounded individual who exemplifies what it means to be an American.

“I live in a country where I have the opportunity to get my fingers into a lot of things. As long as I can live in a place where I can do those things, that’s all-American.”

She views the show as a talent competition, not a reality show.

“I’m not a fan of reality TV. But when it comes down to it, this show is a great opportunity. Any exposure is good exposure, and when opportunity knocks you have to answer,” White says. “I’m out here trying to get my career on the road.”

The winner of the show receives a management contract, which can lead to a merchandizing or recording contract with Simon Fuller, the executive producer of “American Idol.”

White, a cognitive science major, says her goal in life is to entertain others. Her mother, Addie, says White has loved to perform since her first piano recital at age three.

“As a young child she always liked music and always liked dancing, and it’s something she’s always done growing up,” says White’s mother. “She was dancing probably before she could walk. It’s just a part of her.”

White displayed her musical and dancing abilities on the two-minute audition video she and her boyfriend, Music senior David Yi, made in late January. The video featured White playing Beethoven on the piano, performing Alicia Keys and dancing in the basement of the Foster-Walker Complex.

“To be honest, the hardest part of this whole process was physically trying to find the video camera,” Yi says. “I didn’t have any doubts that she would have any trouble getting on the show.”

According to White she was the first woman called back to audition. She went to Anaheim, Calif., for a week in the beginning of February for the first part of the competition. It consisted of 45 women performing two talents each in front of the three coaches: ex-Spice Girl Geri Halliwell, NBA star John Salley and Motown producer Suzanne de Passe.

The second half of the week, (or Stage 2, as ABC.com calls it) the 24 remaining women had to impress the coaches by completing an obstacle course, performing a choreographed dance, answering questions in a general knowledge quiz and telling a personal story.

At the end of the week, all three coaches chose White, the only time they all agreed on a contestant.

“When all three people raised their hands, I immediately broke into tears because it was that intense,” White says. “It really boosted my confidence because they saw something in me, even though I hadn’t really been ‘on’ that week. But they saw potential, and that meant more to me than anything else.”

Because all three coaches wanted her, the show’s rules allowed White to choose her team. She says she chose to be on de Passe’s team because she thought de Passe was the best long-term decision.

“Suzanne has a good eye; she’s willing to work with us and see how we can each fit into the industry,” White says. “I am now officially one degree away from meeting Michael Jackson.”

White and the other 14 remaining contestants flew back out to Anaheim toward the end of February to film episodes two and three, which consisted of performance boot camp and a dinner party. At the end of the third episode, the coaches chose the top 10 finalists, White among them.

She moved to Los Angeles during finals week of Winter Quarter, and is taking Spring Quarter off for the show. White plans to walk with her class at graduation and complete her final three credits over the summer.

White’s mother says she initially was opposed to the show.

“In the beginning, I was upset because I was more concerned about school and education,” White’s mother says. “But after we discussed things, I finally came around. She’s only going to be missing a quarter. After I thought about it, it would be a good opportunity for her to get some exposure.”

White says her mother started taking the show seriously after she saw a clip of it on “Extra.” Both of White’s parents now support her.

“If given the chance, Natalie could just soar,” says White’s mother. “In comparison with the other contestants, I can see her winning. But of course, this is her mother speaking.”

Although her mother and boyfriend think White can make it to the end, White says she is unsure of how far she can go.

“I’m just going to take it week by week and stay positive. I very much believe in emanating energy, and I’m going to keep throwing the positive vibe out there and believe I have what it takes to stay in the contest.”

“I can only win if people vote,” she adds.

“All American Girl” airs on ABC Thursday nights at 8 p.m.