Diversity workshop addresses concerns over slurs on campus

For Mary Desler, associate vice president for student affairs, a quote by anthropologist Margaret Mead summarizes the goal of Northwestern’s new workshop “Building Bridges: A Series of Intergroup Dialogues.”

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: It’s the only thing that ever has,” Desler said before the first workshop started Wednesday night.

The 90-minute weekly workshop attempts to provide a forum for students to engage in dialogue on the differences between racial, religious and social groups on campus, Desler said. The 25 students who have signed up to participate are separated into two groups. The first group will meet Tuesdays and the second group will meet Wednesdays until the end of Spring Quarter.

Desler said she hopes the workshops will help students who were impacted by the slurs and swastikas that recently appeared in campus residence halls.

Students at Wednesday’s spoke about their identities and personal struggles, and responded to NU’s policies toward intolerance, said Dimple Patel, coordinator of Asian and Asian-American student services. Patel added that she was pleased with the discussion of student concerns.

“We want students to mold the program,” she said. “I only brought up one or two questions, then the conversation carried itself.”

Before the first workshop, students said they want “Building Bridges” to foster understanding among group members. Students also said they hope the program will impact the entire campus.

“On a microcosmic level, we’d be able to use what we learn and apply them to the larger community,” said Raysh Weiss, a Communication freshman. “By the end of the program, we’ll be able to show that our being human transcends all differences.”