New restaurant opens with party for BEHIV

Prairie Moon, the newest restaurant to spring up in downtown Evanston, demonstrated its commitment to the community Monday by turning its grand opening celebration into a benefit for a local charity.

All six rooms of the restaurant were filled with mingling guests who were looking to do something positive for the community while enjoying a wide variety of authentic American cuisine.

About 500 people turned out for the festivities, which included two live bands, a silent auction, and all the beer, wine and food that patrons could consume, all for a $15 donation. The proceeds from the fund-raiser were dedicated to Better Existence with HIV, Prairie Moon’s charity of choice for the year.

BEHIV is the first organization to benefit from the restaurant’s plan to support a different community charity every year.

“It was a great turnout for BEHIV,” said the restaurant’s co-owner Paul White. “People seemed to be having a good time, and that’s what this place is all about.”

White, along with co-owner Rob Strom and executive chef Tony Luna, opened Prairie Moon on March 12 in Evanston, their hometown.

Prairie Moon’s menu lists a unique mix of dishes from different regions of the United States, including the Midwest and Gulf Coast. From the Colorado brook trout to Texas sliced sirloin to hibachi ahi with Maui onions, all the dining options are made from ingredients planted, harvested and sold by American farmers, Strom said.

“There’s always been a debate about what American cuisine really is,” he said. The use of local ingredients by American immigrants to recreate the food of their homelands created “Americanisms,” or twists on traditional ethnic cuisine.

With small and large plates ranging in price from $6 to $18, Prairie Moon appeals to a wide range of customers. So far, the owners said families, couples and adult parties have brought business in the evening, while Northwestern students have come out late at night.

Though the dining room closes at 10 p.m. on weekdays and 11 p.m. on weekends, the bar is open until 1 a.m. on weekdays and 2 a.m. on weekends.

The back-room bar in particular offers “a great hangout for students,” White said. Along with a stocked bar, the back room also houses a pool table and a sectioned-off area for playing darts.

On Monday, Evanston City Council will vote on an ordinance that could extend the hours for selling liquor downtown, but management at Prairie Moon said they have not vested any interest in the vote’s outcome.

“We’re a restaurant before we’re a bar,” said manager Mike Hoyland. “We’re not even really interested in it.”