Lumpy on the left’

A certified flight attendant-turned-certified etiquette instructor showed more than 380 Northwestern students and alumni how to use four different forks and make a good first impression Thursday night at the Omni Orrington Hotel.

Nonnie Cameron Owens, known professionally as “Mom Nonnie,” led the group in proper table etiquette with an emphasis on preparing for job interviews.

“You are not cowboys. You are ambassadors of Northwestern University,” Owens said at the event sponsored by Northwestern Class Alliance and the NU Alumni Association.

Owens said baby-boomers are responsible for loose manners among the current college-age generation.

“Today we are seeing the product of the flower children,” she said.

Owens defined the boundaries of “business casual.” Women should wear nylons, and men should never fasten the bottom button of their suit coat.

“If you want to button the bottom button, go ahead,” Owens said. “But you’ll have a big sign around your neck: ‘I’m a geek.'”

Participants learned to pass salt and pepper together and to place “lumpy on the left and runny on the right” side of the plate — or food and liquid, respectively.

“The salt and pepper was kind of hard to handle,” said Bethany Weinert, a Weinberg sophomore.

But Owens repeatedly offered some encouragement to her audience: “Accidents happen,” “Get over it” and “Are we having fun?”

Owens also said eye contact is crucial.

“Gentlemen, if you’re on a job interview and a blonde walks in with a red dress on, do not take your eyes off the interviewer,” she said.

Owens said her lessons will influence her audience in social, as well as professional, situations.

“I’m on your shoulder,” she said, “from this day forward.”