NU student confronts alcoholism with campus AA

Northwestern students wrestling with alcohol dependence now have another weapon in battling their addiction.

The founder of a new on-campus Alcoholics Anonymous chapter, an NU student who asked not to be named, said he knows he’s not alone in his struggle.

“I noticed when I was drinking it was different than for other people,” he said. “I wondered why I was suicidal, my schoolwork wasn’t done and my relationships were failing.

“Eventually I met the right people, and they helped me realize that even though I was young, I had almost full-blown alcoholism.”

The AA meetings, which will be hosted by NU students on the Evanston Campus, are aimed at helping Chicago-area college students overcome their dependence on alcohol.

Meetings will be held Mondays in the Norris University Center and Wednesdays at the Alice Millar Chapel. They will be open only to students.

The group’s founder said alcoholism is more widespread on campus than most people think.

“I know I partied with probably 50 guys who are potentially alcoholics,” he said. “I know it exists on campus. (The program) is particularly for students. Students know they can feel comfortable.”

National studies recognize the prevalence of binge drinking on college campuses. A recent Harvard University study reported that two out of five college students are binge drinkers.

According to Ken Papineau, director of health education at Searle Student Health Service, alcohol use at NU is typical for an American campus in some respects.

“Alcohol use is polarized,” he said. “A higher number of students are abstaining from alcohol. On the flip side, another portion of students use it in greater amounts.”

Papineau added that Searle plans to advocate the new AA chapter on campus as an option for students with addiction problems.

“The great thing about AA is that it gives a person another outlet,” Papineau said. “If you seek something off campus, you may meet with individuals who may or may not relate to you.”

Dependence can begin at any age, according to Norman M., office manager at the Chicago AA office. According to AA policy, members may be identified to the media only by their first name and last initial.

College students might be especially vulnerable to dependency, given the presence of alcohol and stress in their lives, Norman said.

“We have people coming into the program as early as 13 or 14,” he said. “We help a lot of 18 to 20 year olds, too. Alcoholism really isn’t caused by how much you drink. It has more to do with how it affects your behavior.”

Some students are skeptical about the program’s potential for success.

“I’m not sure college students are willing to admit they’re alcoholics,” said Sean Morales-Doyle, a Weinberg junior.

But the NU chapter’s creator said AA will provide valuable help for students who need it.

“We’re not crazy and we’re not a bunch of flower children,” he said. “We just don’t drink, and that’s all there is to it.”