ASG tries to cut costs, red tape for groups using UP detail

Student groups that are required to use University Police detail for on-campus event coverage soon might be getting a break.

A bill introduced at Wednesday night’s Associated Student Government meeting would call upon administrators and UP to adopt recommendations providing a 10 percent discount to student groups reserving UP services 30 days in advance of their event.

“This encourages student groups to program early, inform UP that they’re having an event … and it rewards them for planning,” said ASG Executive Vice President Nicole Mash, a Weinberg senior and the bill’s author.

Some student groups now are required to contract UP to patrol their events, a system that is often prone to unnecessary confusion, Mash said. The current system mandates police presence at some events for security purposes.

In addition to the discount, the bill would protect student groups from penalties if they cancel an event at least 10 days before it would occur. It also would ask UP to develop an explicit billing and contracting process for students requesting its services.

“It gives student groups campuswide a discount and eliminates paperwork,” Mash said. “Almost everyone in the Big Ten conference already has a contract for police detail.”

Senators will vote on the bill at next week’s meeting.

Senators also derecognized College Libertarians as a B-status group at Wednesday’s meeting and passed legislation to recommend adding Blomquist Recreation Center improvements to the Undergraduate Budget Priority Committee proposal due in February.

Group misconduct charges against College Libertarians were initiated Fall Quarter and were investigated by ASG’s Executive Committee, led by Mash, which concluded the organization violated several student group guidelines.

College Libertarians missed a leadership advisory meeting Spring Quarter, failed to show up at a Fall Quarter makeup session for the spring meeting, did not complete a group audit during Spring Quarter and lost contact with Mash and other group executives, she said.

“Failure to attend these events warrants automatic derecognition according to student group guidelines,” Mash said.

Jason Konik, president of College Libertarians, said the group of five or six members fell apart after former leaders graduated.

“I imagine we won’t be as easily able to cosponsor events or bring speakers to campus (due to this derecognition),” said Konik, a Weinberg sophomore. He said the group will apply for recognition again in the fall.

Mash said precedence and fairness to other student groups required senators to vote to withdraw ASG recognition of the group.

“This was not a miscommunication,” she said. “Everything could have been made up by the third week in fall. However, as an organization they failed to uphold their responsibilities.”

Senators voted to derecognize the group by a narrow margin, a 28-21 vote with one abstention.

In an unopposed vote, senators passed a bill that will be forwarded to UBPC, listing $1,725.77 in recommended improvements to Blomquist.

Senators also adopted three resolutions by unanimous consent to:

? support Northwestern’s official observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day;

? honor the life of Charles Kim, who died at NU over Thanksgiving Break; and

? celebrate the life of Leonel Macario Hernandez-Reyna, whose memorial service will be held at 3:30 p.m. today in the engineering sciences and applied mathematics conference room at the Technological Institute.