Stauss leaves NU to play for N. Dakota St. (Football)

The question was asked all season long.

And Tony Stauss has finally answered it.

The quarterback transferred to North Dakota State, his former NU teammates said Tuesday. Stauss, who couldn’t be reached for comment, decided to attend the Division II school in Fargo, N.D., after visiting the campus in December, said former roommate Austin King.

It was widely believed that the redshirt sophomore would transfer after he lost his starting job to freshman Brett Basanez at the beginning of the season. Stauss then performed poorly when an injury to Basanez elevated him back into the starting line up.

Stauss, NU coach Randy Walker’s prized recruit in 2000 from Racine, Wis., was touted as the successor to 2001 graduate Zak Kustok who holds most of the school quarterback records.

But Stauss struggled in the 2002 opener against Air Force and lost the starting quarterback job before halftime of the 52-3 loss.

Stauss received a second chance after Basanez injured his ankle against Minnesota on Oct. 10. In the next two weeks, Stauss threw for 343 yards combined in a 49-0 loss at Penn State and a 42-13 defeat to Purdue.

On the following Monday, Stauss admitted he did not fit into NU’s spread offense. The 6-foot-2 quarterback said he was better suited for a drop-back passing offense.

“This offense came from Clemson and Woody Dantzler,” Stauss said Oct. 28. “I ain’t Woody Dantzler.”

That same day, NU coach Randy Walker said he thought Stauss could succeed in his team’s spread offense. But he agreed with Stauss about the importance of having a mobile quarterback under center for NU.

“Maybe he thinks he isn’t a perfect fit for our style of offense,” Walker said. “Well, that probably isn’t wrong.”

Despite his struggles, Stauss’ teammates continually praised his work ethic and dedication.

“Tony works harder than anyone on the team,” King said Tuesday. “Tony did everything the program and his teammates asked of him and more — that’s why this season was so disappointing for him.”

NCAA rules require collegiate athletes who transfer from one Division I school to another to sit out one year.

But Stauss will have a chance to compete for the starting quarterback job because a player doesn’t have to sit out if he transfers to a school in a lower division.

North Dakota State finished 2-8 last season and lost its starting quarterback to graduation, leaving Stauss, who has two years of eligibility left, to compete with a redshirt freshman and a senior.

King said Stauss began to look at other schools immediately after the season ended, and his friends knew of Stauss’ plans to transfer. But Basanez said he didn’t hear about the news until he walked into the locker room on Tuesday.

“His tags were down in the locker room, and I heard a couple of guys talking about it,” Basanez said. “It was surprising because he never told anyone. It was a tough year on him, but you never know what is going to happen.”