Basanez shines, Jenkins into the mix (Football)

Quarterback Brett Basanez returned to Northwestern’s starting lineup Saturday, and the team’s offense returned to its explosive form en route to its first Big Ten win of the season.

With Basanez under center, the offense compiled more total yards and scored more than three times as many points as it had the past two weeks combined, when he was sidelined with a broken left fibula.

But after the 41-37 win over Indiana, Basanez was not the quarterback that NU coach Randy Walker talked about the most — that was true freshman Derell Jenkins.

Jenkins played one series in the second quarter for his first in-game action after entering the season fourth on the depth chart.

“Let me explain why (we played him), because I know there will be some questions,” Walker said after the game. “We believe there’s going to be a quarterback controversy at this school anyway, so we’re going to let Derell join the fight.”

If there’s a quarterback competition, Basanez is currently the heavyweight champion after leading the Wildcats to their first Big Ten win in more than a year.

He was 18 of 27 for 233 yards and one touchdown. But his mobility was limited because of a brace on his ankle, so he ran the ball only once for four yards.

“I was thinking about juking but I didn’t want the brace to pop off and hurt somebody,” Basanez said. “I did all right out there but I missed some shots I shouldn’t have and I need to get better in certain aspects.”

Basanez fumbled on the first two possessions of the fourth quarter, and the turnovers led to 14 points for the Hoosiers.

Indiana’s Herana-Daze Jones knocked the ball out of Basanez’s hands while the quarterback was waiting to hand the ball off to Jason Wright on a delay. Jones recovered the fumble and returned it for a touchdown. On the next possession, Basanez said he took his eyes off the snap and the ball bounced off his hands.

Even with the mistakes, Wright said he was impressed with Basanez’s play.

“He’s a warrior and his performance was courageous,” Wright said. “He would tell the coaches and the trainers he wasn’t in pain, but you know he is. … With all the pain shooting up his leg, he’s out there still being a leader and getting us going and not worrying about himself.”

Still, Walker didn’t hide his desire to give Jenkins more time under center.

“We wanted to play him more and it just got to the point where we felt the rhythm wasn’t right to go back to him,” Walker said. “But I believe we need to play him.”

Walker said Jenkins is improving every week in practice, and he plans to let Jenkins use his running ability more in the final two weeks of the season. During his one series under center, Jenkins ran off tackle on three consecutive plays for 16 yards and picked up a first down. After a snap went through his hands and resulted in a 24-yard loss, he rushed up the middle for 11 yards.

On the next play, he rolled to his left and his pass to Jeff Backes on the sideline was knocked away. Jenkins didn’t play another series and ended the game with four carries for 27 yards.

“Today we saw what he can do on the ground, and I hope he doesn’t decide to switch to running back,” Wright said with a laugh. “He’s a change of pace, and with Brett still being hobbled we need to have that quarterback-running threat.”

And neither Basanez nor Jenkins seem to have any problems with the tandem situation.

“I expected to play more, but it was fine, and I got my feet wet and it felt great,” Jenkins said. “The competition will make us both better.”

Basanez agreed with Jenkins’ sentiments.

“I’m not scared,” Basanez said laughing. “When you’re sitting high and pretty on your high-horse it’s hard to get better. When you know someone is biting at your heels like Derell who can make plays, you need to get that much better each week.”