Cats not affected by trash talking (Football)

After running up big yards and big scores against the Northwestern defense the past two weeks, opposing running backs have made some pointed remarks.

Saturday, Purdue tailbacks Brandon Jones and Joey Harris said they played “paper, rock, scissors,” and “flipped a coin” during the action to decide who would get to play in a game in which they combined for more than 300 yards rushing.

“Kids are going to say things that kids say,” coach Randy Walker said. “If people want to take pot shots, we’re a pretty easy target right now.”

The Cats have allowed more than 400 yards rushing in the past three games, and have the worst rushing defense in Division I-A football.

Colby Clark didn’t hear Jones’ or Harris’ comments, but he said a lot of people talk trash and that it’s no big deal.

“I don’t really care,” Clark said. “What’s the point in doing it? We go to a better school anyway, so I think our cut-downs would be too smart for them. We’d have to put them in lower terms.”

THE MYSTERY AT Q: Walker is not yet sure who will start at quarterback on Saturday against Indiana, because the status of freshman Brett Basanez is still uncertain.

Basanez, who started six straight games before breaking his left fibula against Minnesota on Oct. 10, practiced with the first-team offense on Tuesday.

“He practiced today more than he did last week,” Walker said. “Obviously, he’s not 100 percent, but he’s good enough to go.We’ll continue to evaluate how he is doing, but I think he practiced well tonight.”

If Basanez is healthy, he’ll start ahead of sophomore Tony Stauss, Walker said, because Basanez was the starter before the injury.

“My belief is you don’t lose your job because you get hurt,” Walker said. “If you come back healthy you get your job back.”

But the health of Basanez is still unclear, and Walker wants to wait until later in the week to decide.

“It’s too soon to tell if he will start,” Walker said. “He’s day to day, and we don’t need to make a decision today. Hopefully, we will have a clear picture Thursday.”

While the quarterback question lingers, Walker was pretty sure sophomore safety Dominique Price would play this week, after hurting his ankle against Penn State and not playing in the loss to Purdue.

“He didn’t go tonight, but I think we will have Dominique back Saturday, ” Walker said Tuesday.

CAPTAIN CLARK: The NU defense has allowed more than 40 points each of the past three weeks, but Walker said he has been impressed with the play of defensive tackle Clark.

After redshirting in 2000, Clark started every game last season and was named a fourth-team Sporting News Freshman All-American. This season, as the elder statesman of the NU front seven, the 6-foot-2 defensive tackle has 67 tackles.

“He’s become a darn good football player,” Walker said. “I not only see it on gameday, but I see it on the practice field. He’s a guy trying to do what we’re coaching him to do. He’s getting off blocks, flying around, busting his tail to make plays.”

For his efforts, Clark was named one of the captains this week.

“He doesn’t assume someone else is going to make the play,” Walker said. “He’s trying to make every play.”