SBC gives $50 credit to customers

All residential and small business customers of SBC Ameritech will receive about $50 per access line between early October and late November.

This means students living off campus will receive a credit to their bills that will carry over to subsequent months if the total bill is less than $50.

The credit stems from the 1999 merger between Ameritech and SBC Communications, Inc. and will cost the company more than $224 million. This is in accordance with the Illinois Commerce Commission’s order that the company share with Illinois customers half of its savings from the merger.

Customers will receive one lump sum between early October and early November. It will appear on their normal monthly bills.

SBC Ameritech officials decided to share their savings through a one-time credit instead of through a series of installments.

“The purpose of the one-time credit this fall rather than smaller amounts over time was to provide a significant one-time credit,” said David Saltz, SBC Ameritech Illinois spokesman.

To receive the credit, customers must have activated the phone line by early October. Only residential customers and businesses with one to four lines qualify.

Most Evanston residents did not know about the $50 credit, many said they were delighted when they found out.

“Its great that they’re giving me money –sounds like the $50 credit is going to last (me) a long time,” said Michael Fisher, a Weinberg senior.

Evanston resident Jayne Samuels, 88, echoed Krema’s plan of not increasing phone usage.

“I’ll use (the credit) to pay my phone bill,” she said.

Although the credit cannot be redeemed for cash, Gail Janczak, owner of Hallmark Party Center in Evanston, 1015 Davis St., said because she is saving money on her phone bill, she will spend more on other things.