Ira Cole, past Medill dean, prof, 78, dies

Ira “Bill” Cole, dean of Medill School of Journalism from 1957 to 1984, the man responsible for shaping Medill into one of the best journalism schools in the country, died June 7 at Waveny Care Center in New Canaan, Conn. He was 78.

Cole made Medill the great institution that it is today, said Prof. David Nelson, the chair of Medill’s Newspaper Department. Nelson said he remembers Cole being energetic, intelligent and having an insatiable curiosity.

The former dean’s legacy continues at Medill with the Teaching Newspaper program, which Cole began in 1972 as a way for students to gain real newsroom experience and connect with Medill alumni outside the Chicago area, Nelson said.

The program has expanded to become the Teaching Media program and now includes options for quarter-long magazine and television internships during a student’s junior year. Cole also sought to bring Medill alumni and prominent journalists from the Chicago area to teach in the classroom.

Cole taught Medill graduate school newswriting classes like a typical city editor, Nelson said. Nelson said during the summer, when Cole was teaching the graduate classes, he remined him of Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, because he wore khakis and was good at giving orders.

“He had (students) on their toes,” Nelson said.

Nelson said Cole taught him “the student is king.”

“You work hard – they work hard. It all works out,” he said.

But Nelson’s fondest memories of Cole were outside the workplace.

Cole was very committed to his family, Nelson said. He extended this commitment to help Nelson with his family. One time, Cole, an aviator, was planning a trip to California with his family and offered to fly Nelson and his young daughter to the state to celebrate Nelson’s sister’s 30th birthday.

“I learned a lot from the man,” Nelson said. “I learned how to treat people nicely.”

After Cole retired he moved to Mexico with his wife, Nelson said. He said Cole loved Mexico because of the people and food, finding it to be a place that nourished him and let him re-charge.

Before coming to Medill, Cole served as a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army from 1942 to 1945. He was also a public information specialist from 1951 to 1952. Cole graduated from the University of Illinois in 1948. He was the assistant dean of journalism at Illinois for eight years and Penn State University from 1956 to 1957.

Cole is survived by two children, Tim and Molly, and a grandson.