Rally by Illinois prevents a sweep

CHAMPAIGN – When the Northwestern baseball team faced Illinois this weekend, it had its first chance of the season to take out the brooms and do some spring cleaning.

The Wildcats (17-20, 8-10 Big Ten) won Friday’s Game 1, 9-2, and Sunday’s opener, 3-1, at Illinois Field. But a one-run loss in the finale of the rain-shortened series ruined their bid to sweep the Fighting Illini (23-12, 8-10).

“Everybody did as good a job as possible,” NU coach Paul Stevens said. “We dealt with adversity, and (Illinois Field) is a difficult ballpark to play in. I’m very pleased.”

The Cats have given Stevens plenty of reasons to be satisfied. NU is 8-2 in its last 10 games, and the team has won two consecutive Big Ten series.

After taking two of three from Illinois, the Cats caught their in-state rivals in the league standings. The two teams are now tied for the sixth and final postseason spot with 12 games remaining.

“Winning the series against Illinois was important,” sophomore Josh Lieberman said. “The victories put us right back in the hunt.”

Lieberman and the Cats took control of the series Friday against Illini ace Andy Dickinson. He entered the game with an 8-1 record and 2.68 ERA before NU roughed him up for seven runs in 5 1/3 innings.

Lieberman led the charge with a 3-for-5 day at the plate, knocking in three runs. The offense provided plenty of support for starting pitcher Zach Schara, who allowed only two runs in eight innings.

“Lieberman has done a tremendous job when he’s in there,” Stevens said. “You give him an opportunity, then you kind of take it away, and he gets hungrier and hungrier — and then he finds a way to come through like he did on Friday.”

All of the Cats were eager to take the field Sunday after Saturday’s games were rained out. In the first game of the doubleheader, NU took advantage of Gabe Ribas’ 12-strikeout complete game to capture a 3-1 victory.

The Cats failed to capitalize on walks and Illini errors, mustering only one run in the first seven innings. But first baseman Travis Tharp’s two-run homer in the ninth put the Cats on top for good.

“I was upset with my swing on the pitch before, and he hung a pitch with two strikes,” Tharp said. “I got just a piece of it, and it was just enough to get it over the fence.”

NU fell just short in Game 3 on Sunday. NU left fielder David Gresky, who homered Friday, was robbed of a three-run home run in the top of the second when Brandon Cashman leaped over the fence in right-center field and brought the ball back.

Freshman J.A. Happ suffered his first collegiate loss after relieving starter Ryan Bos.

“A few plays here and there cost us in the final game,” Gresky said. “Overall we played very well this weekend.”

Stevens was not surprised that his team has continued to play better as the playoffs approach.

“Our team plays like how students approach things academically,” Stevens said. “If you have a paper out there due in a month, don’t tell me you’re out there getting it done. We play our best with our backs against the wall.”