Didio signs seven prep stars to play field hockey at NU

In their first step toward rebounding from a dismal 2-13 season, the Northwestern field hockey team signed seven high school seniors on March 21.

The recruits, five of whom are midfielders, will try to help the Wildcats rebuild after a season in which they snagged only one win in the Big Ten.

Kelly Augustine, the only goalie on her way to Evanston, will be joined by Rachel Cody, Christine Nannicelli, Holly Palin, Kristin Provencher, Thaddia Rintel, and Ellen Schlafly.

NU coach Marisa Didio is proud of her recruiting class, saying that they “bring a winning attitude” and “demonstrate the ability to impact.” Although none is a shoe-in to start for the Cats next year, Didio said “these girls will give us more flexibility and more options.”

Four of the seven are coming from the New England area, known for producing talented field hockey players. Combined with a team that lost only two seniors, the new Cats will not only look for a fresh start but also hope to make a Big Ten title run in the fall.

NU finished the 2001 season with a first-round loss in the Big Ten tournament to then-No. 5 Michigan. Didio, however, remains optimistic about the team’s chances in 2002.

“The new class understands our path to be the best team possible,” the coach said. “They not only add talent and personality but (create) a new setting.”