NU looks to outpitch MSU sluggers

Pitching will be the key for the Northwestern baseball team this weekend against Michigan State.

But there’s only one problem – the Wildcats’ No. 1 starter is side-lined with a fractured hand. And to add insult to injury, the short-handed staff allowed 11 earned runs in Tuesday’s 15-12 loss to lowly Chicago State.

NU (7-13, 1-3 Big Ten) will need to overcome these obstacles when the Spartans (17-5, 2-2) bring the Big Ten’s most dangerous offense to Rocky Miller Park.

“Michigan State is a free-swinging team and they really like to hack,” senior pitcher Gabe Ribas said. “We need to use their aggressiveness against them, and we need to be smarter – that is pitching.”

Ribas and the rest of the staff will have to pitch intelligently without ace Zach Schara. The senior opened the 2002 campaign with a 2-1 record and a 2.45 ERA. He also threw a complete game one-hitter on March 8 against St. Louis.

Unfortunately for the Cats, Schara is unavailable this weekend because of a fractured hand suffered in an accident not related to baseball. Schara will be re-evaluated later this week and should be back on the mound in about two weeks.

“Losing Zach was a big deal because he was our ace and really got the team prepared mentally and emotionally,” senior pitcher Andy Adams said.

“Since I have been here, Gabe and Zach have been the leaders both on and off the field. I think Gabe will feel a burden to pitch more innings and will have to be more of a team leader.”

Ribas will have a chance to turn around a disappointing start to the season when he pitches today’s opening game. Ribas, a second-team All-Big Ten selection in 2000, was hit hard in his first five outings, and his ERA has ballooned to 7.50.

“I’m not having the season I would want and I will be the first one to admit it,” Ribas said. “My numbers aren’t pretty, but I need to just keep us in the ballgame.”

Ribas’ performance is not a concern of NU coach Paul Stevens.

“I don’t care about Gabe’s numbers,” Stevens said. “I care about what he does Friday. It isn’t important what is behind him, but what is in front of him.”

Ribas will have the challenging assignment of taming the Spartans and their Big Ten-best .362 batting average. Michigan State is led by junior outfielder Bob Malek. He led the conference in hitting last season, and his .461 average this season ranks second in the league.

The Cats’ pitchers must also be wary of Michigan State’s Chris McCuiston. The senior has blasted 10 home runs in 22 games.

“We need to keep the ball down and make it harder to hit home runs,” Adams said. “We need to get ahead of the batters because then you are in charge and can keep the hitters guessing.”

Senior Ryan Bos and sophomore Dan Konecny will have the task of keeping the Spartans off balance in Saturday’s doubleheader. Bos has been the work-horse for NU this season, logging 34 innings in five starts. Konecny has just three starts this season but allowed no earned runs in four innings against Ohio State Saturday.

“Bos is throwing great this year and we knew he was capable of pitching like this,” Ribas said. “Konecny has the best stuff on the staff and when he is locked in he is devastating.”

After Ribas, Bos and Konecny, the fourth spot in the rotation remains a question for Stevens because of Schara’s absence. Stevens said he will probably start freshman James Happ, who has not allowed a run in 14 innings and has recorded two saves. Fellow freshmen Evan Blesoff and Stanley Finch may also get the call for the Cats.

“James has been awesome on the mound and he is a great kid,” Ribas said. “He has done the job in tough situations and has been a huge part of our success.”

Stevens said he believes NU’s success this weekend hinges on his pitchers’ ability to keep the games close. The Cats are confident in their chances this weekend, Ribas said, and they want to take it one game at a time.

“We are underachieving right now, but we are going to be okay,” he said. “I have confidence that we will find a way to turn it around.”