Officials weigh success of Church Street Plaza

Fifteen months after Church Street Plaza’s grand opening, the jury is still out on whether it will be successful in the long run, Evanston officials said Wednesday.

The $90 million entertainment, residential and retail complex opened in November 2000. Its goal was to bring 1 million people downtown in the first year, said Ben Ranney, marketing manager for Arthur Hill & Co., the plaza’s developer.

“We don’t have any hard numbers yet, but I think we’ve succeeded,” Ranney said. “Downtown Evanston has become the premier destination in the North Shore to come have a night out.”

But Troy Thiel, director of the Evanston Small Business Association, said there is not enough retail in the plaza to pay for its construction costs, which he said were more than the city anticipated.

“In essence, the city hasn’t done very well,” Thiel said. “If we’re bringing in all these people, how come sales tax revenue isn’t increasing?”

Century Theaters, Wolfgang Puck’s and Urban Outfitters opened in late 2000. Since then, The Art Store, Cost Plus World Market, the Hilton Garden Inn and an art gallery have since opened.

Also, Glencoe-based Optima, Inc. is building a 200-unit condominium high-rise. Chicago-based Mesirow Stein Real Estate, Inc. is constructing an office building, which will house textbook publisher McDougal Littell, Inc.

Arthur Hill & Co. still owns vacant retail space on the first floor of both buildings. The Corner Bakery, Borders Books & Music, an Asian noodle shop and a travel agent will open there next year, Ranney said.

The city spent about $35 million on the plaza, Finance Director William Stafford said. To recoup the cost, the city must rely on sales, hotel and entertainment taxes. Stafford said he does not have figures to show that the taxes are generating less money than expected.

“It’s a little premature to say the plaza is losing money,” Stafford said. “We need another year or two to get a good idea of its track record.”

Evanston needs sales tax revenue from the plaza to pay off debts incurred during its construction. The sales tax will free the plaza from inclusion in a tax increment financing district, a zone where property taxes are frozen to attract developers. When the debt is paid, the city will benefit from the higher property values and tax rates created by the development.

Ald. Edmund Moran (6th) was the only alderman to vote against the plaza when it was approved in 1998. He said Wednesday that he is concerned about how much money the theaters will generate in the long run.

In the future, movie companies might air the first productions of their shows on cable television instead of in theaters, Moran said. This trend could pose a threat to companies such as Century Theatres.

“To the degree that the theater brings people in, the plaza will be successful,” Moran said. “The question is, will this still be the case when a bigger megaplex moves in two miles away?”

But Ald. Steven Bernstein (4th) said the plaza has been worth the money the city spent on it.

“It’s absolutely beyond my wildest expectations,” Bernstein said. “The whole thing makes me jump up and down.”

Bernstein said he hopes the plaza will bring more business to other Evanston shops and restaurants. He met Wednesday with Ranney, Thiel and Weinberg sophomore Brian Miller, Associated Student Government’s City Council liaison, to discuss a marketing strategy for the plaza.

The group proposed placing computer kiosks at the theaters, which patrons could use to find information about events in Evanston. The computers would have touch screens with directories listing Evanston shops, restaurants and entertainment. Patrons could make restaurant reservations or print out maps.

Ranney said the kiosks would be a good way to link the plaza with other city businesses.

“We really want to promote downtown Evanston,” he said. “We want to showcase it as a great place to visit.”